London, England, United Kingdom
London, England, United Kingdom
Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Overview / Responsibilities
Do you have a proven background in circular economy and sustainability and an enthusiasm for developing solutions to complex and challenging problems? Do you have experience of environmental consultancy? If so, we are recruiting for a high-calibre, commercially minded and innovative Principal Consultant to join our Climate, Resilience & Sustainability Team at Wood with a particular focus on circular economy and sustainable resource management.
This is an exciting opportunity to make a significant contribution to the continued success and growth of a reputable and successful team and contribute to a wide range of high-profile projects. At Wood we help our clients to shape a more sustainable future and the projects we work on cross the multiple sectors and geographies our business works in. As such you will be exposed to a wide range of UK and international projects with opportunities to travel.
Wood has a long established and evolving business delivering environmental consultancy and advice to clients within the UK and worldwide. This role will sit within out Advisory Services team, which focuses on delivering sustainability advisory services, working in partnership with our clients to deliver the UN Sustainable Development Goals. Our work covers a broad range of services incorporating environmental policy, climate action, circular economy, waste management and decarbonsaiton, supporting Wood's purpose to unlock solutions to deliver a net-zero future and enable a more sustainable, resilient and liveable world.
This role will support the development and implementation of Wood's circular economy strategy, working with a range of clients in industry, local and national government bodies and/or international institutions such as the European Commission and World Bank. You will have experience in a consultancy environment or other relevant industry with a core specialism in circular economy and experience delivering scope 3 emissions reduction projects (or equivalent). You will be able to demonstrate a clear understanding of circular economy policy and strategy and evidence implementation of circular economy and/or net zero projects across a number of Wood's core sectors.
Working as part of a team will be required to provide innovative solutions for clients but we expect that you will be able to evidence leadership in your field, be self-starting and take the initiative to make effective decisions.
You will join an enthusiastic and supportive team and will experience a challenging and fulfilling working environment. There are significant opportunities for ongoing and structured career development within the Climate, Resilience & Sustainability field and across Wood's wider consultancy business.
Wood recognises that their people are central to its success as a business. As a consequence, we are committed to a providing a comprehensive framework for the professional development of its staff, including:
- A wide range of internal and external training opportunities
- A global mentoring programme
- Support for gaining and maintenance of chartership through professional institutions
Fairness, support in development and a safe and healthy work environment - these are of great importance to us. Where people look out for each other, are respected and are recognised. Where people work ethically and safely. We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. We truly believe that diversity within our workplace promotes an incredible diversity of ideas. We are happy to consider applicants who are interested in the role on a part-time basis and support flexible working arrangements.
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Substantial experience delivering circular economy solutions to clients in a consultancy environment (or another industry); including as the organisation lead / technical representative with external clients
- Detailed understanding of circular economy policy in the UK, Europe and/or internationally
- Experience advising clients to undertake Scope 3 emissions inventories, screening data sets to support the setting of setting Science Based Targets, or equivalent emissions reductions aligned with The Paris Agreement
- Detailed understanding of challenges relating to a transition to sustainable behaviours within industry, business and domestic sectors, and the solutions available to clients from a range of sectors
- Understanding of LCA in relation to materials specification
- Numerate individual with strong data management, analysis and interpretation skills
- Extensive use of MS Office software (particularly Word, PowerPoint, Excel)
- Confident, articulate communicator with ability to engage in active, professional verbal communications with colleagues (including senior colleagues), clients and sub-contractors. Particular experience leading multi-disciplinary meetings (online and face to face)
- Experience of stakeholder consultation exercises including preparation / delivery of workshops, surveys and interviews
- Experience writing proposals for new work from a variety of different types of clients
- Exceptional time management skills, including the ability to manage and deliver on a number of projects at once
- Proven ability to prepare high quality written technical reports to a high level of quality assurance for a variety of audiences
- Highly self-motivated individual, capable of working proactively with colleagues located in multiple locations
- Detailed understanding of carbon and/or waste legislation and policy in the UK, Europe and/or internationally
- Experience of setting Science Based Targets
- Experience delivering LCA in relation to materials specification
- Familiarity with Power BI and other reporting software
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant subject; expected to be in the field of environmental science, policy, waste or carbon management or other sustainability-related subject
- Professional affiliation with or membership of appropriate body (e.g. IEMA, CIWM, IET)
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant subject; expected to be in the field of environmental science, policy, waste or carbon management, economics, engineering or other sustainability-related subject
- Chartered status (e.g. CEnv, MCIWM or equivalent)
- UK driving licence
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.