Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, HSE Auditing, HSE Manager / Advisor
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Wood is currently recruiting for a Regional Manager, HSSEA - Americas , for its Consulting BU.
As a highly visible role to the business, this individual will need to partner with the business as a member of the Consulting HSSES leadership Team to support continuous improvement of the HSSEA performance across the Americas region.
This individual will be responsible for providing support across the Consulting Americas Leadership teams and management in driving HSSE culture, continuous improvement process across the business, overseeing all regional assurance requirements, and ensuring delivery of our Group HSSES objectives. In addition, as a key HSSEA leader, you will work closely with the other regions in Consulting to ensure consistency of approach.
The role will deliver support and advice to staff on implementation and compliance with legislation, international standards, and internal procedures. It will build relationships with customers to support the safe and successful delivery of work scopes, thus enhancing Wood's reputation. There will also be active participation in business capture and tender response, promoting HSSEA performance and culture as a differentiator for the business.
A key objective is to ensure that effective HSSEA management is provided for all the Americas offices, sites, and installations in their business area by the selection, coaching, and control of an efficient and competent team of HSSE specialists.
- Support the Americas Leadership Team by providing strong, visible, and positive HSSEA leadership and promote the adoption of HSSEA best practices and values, as well as the development and roll-out of Wood HSSE objectives and other initiatives, including Safety Shield and Consulting Strategy house deliverables
- Support the organization's aim to avoid operational losses, maximize brand protection, and assure continued process capability to Wood clients
- Ensure HSSEA legislation is complied with at all times, and report any breaches
- Ensure that all HSSEA documentation is kept up-to-date and ensure policies and practices are both applied and effective by means of a structured and risk-based assurance process. Promote a mature, interdependent HSSEA culture that delivers positive commitment to and engagement with all employees in continuous performance improvement
- Contribute to Team meetings, with accountability for reporting on all HSSEA statistics and performance against objectives.
- Interface with the HSSEA Leadership across the globe in Consulting and at a wider Wood Level.
- Take an active role in HSSEA leadership of both office and non-office, including projects and laboratories across the Americas.
- Ensure that internal and external compliance certifications remain operational and supervise the recertification process with 3rd parties. Lead audits and ensure close out of assurance and / or audit findings, provide audit reports, and proper and effective corrective and preventive actions.
- Lead, provide functional management to and pro-actively support all staff to achieve project deliverables. Manage, mentor, and monitor the performance and development of direct reports in line with Wood expectations
- Play a primary role in providing guidance, support, and advice regarding HSSEA issues. Provide HSSEA support through all phases of consulting, environmental, construction materials testing, geotechnical, construction, and remediation projects, identifying and implementing optimal HSSE strategies based on Wood statutory & contractual project safety roles and responsibilities.
- Maintain positive relationships with Client Representatives and Project Management to ensure client and business needs are understood and achieved
- Be aware of Client HSSEA requirements and Wood's values and behaviors and actively promote adherence with industry best practices
- Provide input and support HSSEA rigor within the supply chain, including evaluation of processes and monitoring of the performance of subcontractors
- Monitor current project work scopes and ensure HSSEA support is suitably resourced
- Lead occupational health programs, including radiation safety, asbestos, Lead, and respiratory protection plans.
- Co-ordinate Wood pre-qualification programs (ISN Networld, Avetta, etc.).
- Lead and manage emergency management response for regional business
- Apply appropriate risk management and subsequent assurance activities to the business.
- Lead and coordinate the accident and incident investigation process, and provide support to staff involved as required
- Internal: Regional and Global Leadership teams, Project/Operations Management, Functional Heads, Deployed Team Members
- External: Clients, contractors, subcontractors, government authorities.
Level of Influence & Decision-Making Authority:
- Sets team objectives and responsible for the delivery of them
- Leadership of project and country specific HSSEA requirements and objectives
- Ensure clear understanding, roll-out, and compliance of all HSSEA processes and procedures and full accountability
- Financial authority in line with DOA
- Accountable for effectively resourcing team members and the ongoing development of the team
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree in relevant technical, industry, or HSSE specific discipline
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP) and Certified Industrial Hygienist (CIH) certifications (CIH is required, both are preferred)
- Certified Health Physicist (CHP) (preferred)
- 40 Hour HAZWOPER training (at least 5-years at HAZWOPER projects)
- ISO 45001: 2018 & ISO 9001 a desirable qualification
Knowledge, Skills & Experience:
- 12+ years HSSEA experience, with at least 5-years in a similar or regional capacity
- Experience working in and managing an HSSEA Management System environment
- Experience in HSSEA Management and legal requirements across key geographies within the Americas, including Canada, USA, and LATAM
- Experience and familiarity with Life Sciences projects, specifically Construction, Commissioning and validations, and GMP.
- Experience and familiarity with DOE and NRC regulations
- Experience and familiarity with OSHA regulations and citation contesting process
- Experience overseeing (preferred) and/or participating within (required) a multi-national team spread across multiple geographies
- Experience interfacing and communicating with client's senior levels
- Experience in conflict resolution, both internal and external
- Ability to pass security background checks to gain US military base access
- Ability to converse and read Spanish is an added advantage however is not mandatory
- Supervisory and / or direct management experience of a team of HSSEA Managers and Specialists
- Project/contract experience in Energy, O&G, Process, or other comparable industry
- Broad HSSEA experience in a similar industry
- Experience in Construction and working in a live plant a strong plus
- Effective two-way communicator, comfortable with the presentation of HSSEA concepts and programs
- Relationship Builder - Connect and establish effective, cross-cultural working relationships with all levels of the organization and externally excellent interpersonal skills and demonstrable strength in communication skills.
- Influencer - High level of personal skills is required to deal effectively with a wide range of stakeholder groups-balance humility and self-confidence.
- Comfortable in both Client and other 3rd party environments; able to build an exemplary working relationship with Client and other Stakeholders.
- Proven and effective planning and organizational skills
- Confident self-starter who can work independently
- Actively takes responsibility for safety management and the safety of all in the business
- Challenges established practices and effects continuous improvement
- Ability to create an environment that encourages open discussion and feedback with stakeholders
- Initiator - Anticipates the environment, is forward-thinking, and able to see the big picture
- Energy & Focus - Results orientated and focussed on the execution of predefined objectives
- Authentic - Ability to be open, transparent, and driven by the success of the enterprise rather than by personal ambition.
- Good understanding of the business
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.