Skills: Project Controls
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood Resilient Environments - Canada is hiring a Senior Project Controls Specialist for our Project Management Office (PMO) which provides project management services to major projects across Canada.
This individual will be responsible for providing project controls support to ongoing major infrastructure consulting projects and ensuring Wood's project controls system is properly implemented and utilized.
Please note this position can be based in Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia with the option to work remotely.
- Maintain thorough understanding of company policies, procedures, and methodologies relevant to Planning / Scheduling discipline
- Develop a robust project schedule thorough understanding of the contract, scope of work, estimate and procurement / contracting plan for the assigned project.
- Facilitate early planning sessions with project teams and clients
- Assist project planning and development of multi-level, resource loaded CPM schedule for all phases of the assigned project
- Maintain and update the CPM schedule as required by the project management plan
- Extract resources and quantities from the estimate and load into the schedule
- Implement and maintain Earned Value / Progress Tracking system
- Interact with clients, external consultants, construction and project management and team leads regarding planning and scheduling activities
- Review work of other planners/schedulers and perform schedule integrity checks
- Contribute to on-going improvements and developments in work methodology and software for scheduling and work progress measurement
- Prepare and conduct presentations of schedule methodologies and principles to other departments
Cost Control and Estimating
- Review project proposal, original budget and compere to current revision and identify/investigate changes
- Compare staff rates in proposal to actual rates on project
- Work with project managers to find and suggest possible corrective measures to maintain cost within targeted budget
- Prepare earned value report, estimate to complete, forecasts, cost reports as required
- Review subcontractors' budgets vs. actual cost and advise for current and expected overruns
- Monitor and minimize project variances and overruns
- Advise project managers and project staff for effort and expenditures misallocations
- Control and maintain project charges to keep them within proposal and original targeted amounts
- Identify project overruns and suggest corrective actions
Change Management and Risk Management
- Track potential changes and develop a Trends Register incorporating schedule and cost impact for each item. In conjunction with the project manager and discipline leads update the trends register on a weekly basis and participate in the discussion with the client. Create change orders for approved trends and incorporate in the overall approved budgets and forecasts.
- Track project risks, create the project risk register and continuously identify, assess, monitor and mitigate project risks.
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's degree in engineering .
- PMI or AACE certification
- More than 10 years of experience in performing senior level planning, scheduling, cost control, estimating experience in major D&B/P3 projects.
- Strong working knowledge of Primavera P6
- Ability to produce read and manipulate schedules and scheduling curves/reports
- Applied knowledge of cost engineering/cost control
- Applied knowledge of the "Earned Value" principles
- Hands on knowledge of risk management and change management
- Applied knowledge of Project Management and Project Controls principles, including experience with concepts of PMBOK
- Experience in project reporting, cost control, procurement, contract administration, and construction support would be considered an asset
- Intermediate to expert proficiency with Microsoft Excel
- Strong oral and written communication as well as inter-personal and presentation skills
- Organizational skills in order to handle multiple tasks within a high-pressure work site environment
- Ability to work effectively with all levels of management and employees
- Willingness for continuous learning and advancement of technical knowledge
- Detail oriented and customer focused
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.