Skills: Supply & Distribution
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood Process & Energy business performs consulting and EPCM services for many of North America's power generation and power distribution companies.
Wood currently has exciting opportunities for an Intermediate Distribution Engineer. Reporting to the Manager, Distribution Engineering,this position can be located in any of the following offices - Vancouver, BC, Calgary, AB, Oakville, ON, Tucker, GA, West Palm Beach, FL, Orlando, FL or Los Angeles, CA. If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast-paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Engineering of distribution electrical projects through the entire project lifecycle: from conceptual and feasibility, though detailed design, to construction and service
- Leading or supporting overhead and underground distribution engineering projects defining scopes of work, completing cost estimates, performing engineering calculations, and developing detailed design drawings
- Supporting the preparation of technical specifications, tender documents, and technical reports.
- Providing construction support and overall project engineering coordination.
- Responding to information requests during construction and completing project documentation including preparation of record drawings
- Leading a team of engineers and designers when required to successfully deliver a portfolio of projects
- Maintaining and enhancing relationships with other design disciplines and external stakeholders and assist team leads and managers
- Mentoring and guiding junior staff
- Traveling and visiting project sites during design and construction
Skills / Qualifications
- Electrical Engineering Degree from a recognized university along with a Professional Engineering Designation or eligibility for registration with APEGBC or APEGA
- 5+ years of overhead and underground distribution engineering experience serving utilities in North America
- Knowledge of CSA/IEC/NESC Standards and Codes and major utility Engineering Standards
- Knowledge of electrical design including the selection and installation of conductors, insulators, switchgears, circuit breakers, fuses and other distribution equipment
- Knowledge of smart infrastructure equipment such as automatic feeder switches, remote sensing switching, remote sensing cap banks and other smart equipment
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Able to collaborate and communicate effectively with internal and external stakeholders
- Able to apply sound engineering judgement to resolve technical issues
- Able to take on responsibility for high-profile projects
- The following qualifications are considered an asset:
- Knowledge of structural, civil and geotechnical aspects of distribution engineering
- Knowledge of overhead systems design and the use of PLS-CADD
- Experience in power system analysis using software such as CYME, ETAP, EasyPower, SKM.
- Experience with substation and transmission projects
- Experience with AutoCAD
- Experience with GIS applications
- Experience mentoring junior staff
- Experience in both Canada and United States
- Experience working in a utility or consulting environment and managing multiple projects with competing priorities
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.