Skills: Field Comm / SCADA
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Glasgow, United Kingdom
Wood, Renewables is currently recruiting for a Power Performance Testing Analyst / Wind Analyst in our Glasgow (Saint Vincent Street) office or for remote working.
This is a technical role that would suit a highly numerate individual with a diverse set of skills and the initiative to rise to a challenge. If comfortable and desired, the role can include client facing tasks and mentoring of other staff members.
Wood is a leading consultant in the marketplace and, as such, is involved in some of the largest and pioneering developments, which affords exposure to a vast and exciting array of opportunities.
The successful candidate will be responsible for conducting power performance testing according to IEC/ISO standards and MEASNET recommendations at wind farm projects across the globe for a variety of clients (developers, lenders, investors and other project stakeholders). Additionally, the successful candidate will undertake analysis of wind data and operational data to predict the energy output of pre-construction and operational wind farm projects.
A variety of additional commercial and non-commercial wind analysis based tasks will also be expected to advance and develop Wood's position as a market leading consultancy in providing wind farm development consultancy services.
Key responsibilities associated with the role are:
- Data analysis, tool maintenance and development.
- Analysis and interpretation of measured wind data. Use algorithms and tools to merge, manage, interrogate, and extract data to supply tailored reports to customers, colleagues and the wider organisation.
- Assess the effectiveness of data sources and data-gathering techniques and improve data collection methods.
- Capability to use machine learning tools and statistical techniques to produce solutions to problems.
- Manipulation of large datasets using relational database tools, interpretation and reporting upon the results in a productive and insightful way,
- Site inspections, terrain complexity assessment, obstacle assessment, site calibration processes, power curve measurements, uncertainty analysis according to IEC standard.
- Written and verbal communication of technical detail to a non-technical audience. Deliverables are primarily in the form of technical reporting.
- Technical and general support to clients and internally to other business units.
- Conducting project site visits in the UK and overseas, as required.
- Management of projects and budgets.
- Preparation of technical/commercial tenders according to requests.
- Awareness of the market and on-going innovation in technology and research.
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Previous experience of working in an engineering consultancy/developer environment.
- Software/programming skills, Python language in particular.
- Wind data analysis experience.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to explain your work to people unfamiliar with the mechanics behind data analysis.
- Effective listening skills to understand the requirements of the business.
- The ability to produce and review high quality reports to predefined deadlines.
- High level of problem-solving ability and initiative.
- Attention to detail, reliability and good organisational skills are paramount.
- Capability to work on multiple concurrent projects.
- One or more years' experience in power performance testing.
- Exposure/familiarity with SCADA data processing.
- Familiarity with Jupyter notebooks, GIT version control, Azure DevOps, IDE's (PyCharm / VS Code).
- Experience of authoring academic/technical papers or presenting on wind analysis/energy yield topics at industry events.
- Knowledge of the IEC 61400-12-1 standard and MEASNET recommendations.
- Knowledge of project management techniques including program/cost/risk management.
- Degree in a highly numerate discipline (e.g. engineering, physics, mathematics, meteorology).
- Post-graduate qualification in a highly numerate discipline (e.g. renewable energy, sustainability, meteorology, mathematical or science-based subject).
- Qualification or demonstratable familiarity with programming languages such as, Python, R, C or Java and have strong database design and coding skills.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.