Company: NES Fircroft
Skills: Environmental, Safety & Training, Regulatory Compliance
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Our client, a large oil and gas company, is currently seeking an Industrial Hygienist for an 2-year contract in Calgary, AB.
The Industrial Hygienist (IH) supports workplace exposure-assessment activities, evaluation of Occupational Health programs, and review of relevant regulations. This is an intermediate position whereby the successful applicant is expected to plan and execute work items with minimal supervisory support.
Work activities include (but not limited to) the following:
• Identifies and evaluates potential chemical, physical, and biological hazards in the workplace, and recommending suitable corrective action to management where required.
• Updates site noise dosimetry and noise map data
• Provides on-site field support during facility shutdowns/turnarounds, including evaluation of benzene, welding fumes, silica dust, noise, asbestos, lead, and other potentially hazardous agents.
• Conducts qualitative exposure assessment interviews and enters associated information into company health databases.
• Supports confined space job planning
• Supports health aspects of engineering risk assessments
• Serves as local site subject matter experts (SME) on exposure control technologies such as ventilation, respirators, and chemical protective clothing
• Responds to employee inquiries related to chemical, physical, and biological agents encountered within the workplace, as well as to queries about product safety regulations and legislation. This may include participation in Joint Health and Safety committee meetings.
• Supports site regulatory compliance activities
• Conducts IH-related training as an instructor
• Prepares IH reports and training presentations
• Liaising with counterparts from Safety, Nursing, Emergency Preparedness, and Engineering
• Travel up to approximately 25% in western Canada required. Staying in remote camp-type accommodations occasionally required.
The successful applicant will possess a combination of the following:
• Either of the following combinations of education and experience: Bachelor's degree in Engineering or Science with:
? 5+ years occupational/industrial hygiene experience, and
? Certified Industrial Hygienist, or Registered Occupational Hygienist (ROH), or have eligibility and training requirements to obtain either of these certifications; or
o Master's degree in Industrial/Occupational Hygiene with 4+ years of experience
• Highly motivated, results-oriented and strong communication skills
• Strong team player
• Existing knowledge and hands-on skill using typical IH instrumentation such as air sampling pumps, direct-reading instruments, and noise monitoring equipment
• Ability to wear respirators, climb stairs and ladders, and occasionally enter confined spaces.
• Strong computer skills in Microsoft Office applications (Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Outlook, Visio)
• Strong business writing skills. Applicants may be asked to provide a writing sample.
• Have a valid driver's licence and ability to provide a suitable driver's abstract if required
Successful applicants must:
• Be permanently eligible to work in Canada
• Participate in pre-employment background screening if requested
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.