Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Austin, Texas, United States
Wood is recruiting a Natural Resource Biologist or Wetland Specialist to support our Texas Office. The ideal candidate will have a minimum of 5 years of experience with wetland delineations, environmental permitting, and Threatened & Endangered habitat and species assessments. Activities may include managing tasks, leading field crews, analyzing data, and writing reports and permit applications. Work will be performed to support and maintain project/client compliance with environmental regulations such as Clean Water Act Section 404 permitting and the Endangered Species Act.
This is a position that will appeal to individuals with a solid background in natural resources, permitting, and field investigations, and a solid wetland biology or botany education, good work ethic, and genuine interest in career growth within a team of professionals. This position will be supporting land development, oil & gas, and pipeline projects in Texas and can be based from Austin or Houston, TX.
- Collect field data to support identification of wetlands and waters of the U.S. as well as protected species habitat and other various natural resources information.
- Lead accurate and defensible wetland delineations following the various regional supplements of the USACE Wetland Delineation Manual.
- Prepare wetland delineation reports, permit applications, mitigation plans, impact assessments, and pertinent sections of NEPA documents (EA/EIS).
- Direct agency coordination/consultation efforts.
- Execute permit matrices, applications, and associated documentation and reports for compliance with regulations such as Clean Water Act, Endangered Species Act, Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act, and Migratory Bird Treaty Act.
- Work effectively with team members as well as independently.
The successful candidate will work with team members throughout the US, including coordinating team members to complete tasks on complex projects, work with GIS specialists to complete related tasks, provide project management as needed, and serve as lead writer on reports.
Skills / Qualifications
Required Qualifications :
- BS Degree in biology, botany, wetland science, or an equivalent discipline, MS degree preferred.
- Experience performing environmental permitting, wetland delineations and/or natural resources surveys.
- Experienced, effective technical writer of biological documents such as wetland delineation reports, permit applications, and permit matrices.
- Experience managing and analyzing biological data within ArcGIS.
- Proficient in Office 365 applications, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint. Ideally, already familiar with Teams and similar applications.
- 5 years' experience
Desired Qualifications :
- Experience in Texas (although not required to be located there currently)
- Master of Science or higher in a biological science
- Experience evaluating biological resources/ecosystem conditions and preparing summaries of baseline conditions
- Taxonomic knowledge of Texas native flora, especially wetland flora.
- Formal wetlands training
- Certification as a Professional Wetland Scientist (PWS)
- Experience using GIS data to present, organize, and analyze biological data
- Experience working on federal or state lands with respect to natural resources management
- 10 years' experience
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.