Skills: Environmental Engineer
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Royal Leamington Spa, England, United Kingdom
Wood are seeking an experienced and driven Senior Ecologist to join our well established and growing ecology team to support in the delivery of some exciting and varied projects. This role can be based in either Leamington Spa or Birmingham.
The ideal candidate will have broad experience and knowledge of UK ecology including ecological survey scoping and methods, biodiversity legislation, policy and licensing procedures and ecological mitigation techniques (and their delivery and supervision). You will also have experience in preparing (and ideally reviewing) reports and documentation to support consenting regimes.
As a Senior Ecologist within Wood, you will be working closely with other members of the team and colleagues in other technical disciplines, taking a lead role in delivering ecological support on a variety of projects across the country. There are opportunities to manage a wide variety of exciting projects, take on business development responsibilities and support the growth and development of the ecology team.
Why work for Wood?
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people, with revenues of around $10 billion. The Wood ecology team is comprised of around 70 specialists, supporting clients across a range of industries including transport, renewables, nuclear, other power, waste, minerals and property.
Working at Wood offers unique opportunities to develop both personally and professionally, with a strong focus on work-life balance and support for all colleagues within a friendly, close-knit team. Early career ecologists are fully supported through line management, a mentoring and buddy system, with opportunities to join a variety of working groups within the business. This allows our ecologists to shape a flexible and tailored career path within the business, with support from colleagues with a wide range of technical and non-technical expertise.
- Competitive salary
- Annual professional membership subscription
- Funding to attend internal and external technical training courses to develop technical knowledge and skills
- Company car or cash alternative (dependant on role)
- Competitive 25 days holiday with options to buy / sell up additional days leave
- Flexible benefits scheme including health insurance, life assurance, flexible working, cycle to work scheme and contributory pension scheme
- Opportunities to get involved with STEM activities
- TOIL / overtime system
Skills / Qualifications
- An undergraduate ecology or related degree
- Experience in EcIA
- Experience in project or task management including financial management
- Experience in writing (and ideally reviewing) technical reports and deliverables, stakeholder engagement and client/contractor liaison
- Experience in designing and delivering ecological mitigation
- Ecological Clerk of Works experience
- One or more protected species licences
- Flexibility to stay away overnight and to work away from home
- Clean, full UK driver's licence
- MSc or PhD in ecology or similar
- Experience writing European Protected Species licences
- Working knowledge of biodiversity offsetting and net gain principles
- Experience in HRA
- Experience in advanced bat survey and sound analysis
- Membership of the Chartered Institute of Ecology and Environmental Management (CIEEM)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.