Skills: Piping Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Piping Engineer with extensive experience in the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or similar sector of the industry to provide support to our Client in the execution of projects.
Key Accountabilites & Responsibilities:
- Responsible for the design and approval of all piping work on assigned projects.
- Responsible for preparation and approval of project related standards and job notes.
- Ensure that engineering activities on assigned projects are executed within budgeted manhours and approved schedules in compliance with project procedures, standards and specifications and in accordance with procedures and the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of South Africa.
- Review and approve project schedules with the Project Engineer to see that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
- Prepare and approve project specific standards and job notes.
- Prepare requisition index for special piping items, indicating planned issue date for each requisition. Update and reissue monthly.
- Prepare pipe stress index. Update and reissue monthly.
- Check piping drawing index for piping work.
- Prepare and approve general notes requisitions for piping work.
- Design and requisition special piping items.
- Prepare support sketches for the drawing office.
- Check and approve piping bulk requisitions from MTO.
- Review and approve all piping drawings and ensure that the quality of design and drawings produced for enquiry and fabrication purposes is of satisfactory standard.
- Prepare technical bid analysis for special piping items.
- Check and approve piping bulk technical evaluations from MTO.
- Attend coordination meetings and engineering review meetings with supplier as required.
- Review document requirements and issue dates for major equipment with suppliers and assist Procurement Department in compiling a Supplier's Document Index.
- Assist Procurement Department with the expediting of supplier documents.
- Review and approve supplier documents for piping and distribute.
- Review in conjunction with Procurement Department all claims by supplier for an increase in the engineering scope of work.
- Give guidance to client, project engineers, other specialist engineers and inspectors on piping engineering matters. Review piping aspects of package unit supplier's drawings as requested by the engineer responsible for the equipment.
- Ensure that piping engineering operations are complete in accordance with the approved project schedule and within allocated manhours.
- Advise the hod Piping Engineer of any slippages and their causes and proposed corrective action.
- Advise the hod Piping Engineer of any technical problems and unresolved differences with other groups.
- Co-ordinate with Procurement Department and ensure certified drawings are available in time to meet the engineering schedules.
- Notify the Project Engineer or all deficiencies in the flow of data or other basic information required for execution of work.
- Provide progress report information, at the required frequency and with the required content, to the Project Engineer.
- Provide information where necessary to estimating the cost of contract changes, Alert the Project Engineer / Project Manager to circumstances considered to be subject to contract change.
- Follow up piping construction work on project sites to ensure correct interpretation of designs regarding installation. Resolve any piping problems arising during commissioning.
- Keep abreast of development in the piping engineering field.
- Suggest ways to improve efficiency, costs and service in the execution of projects.
- Assist where necessary in the compilation of operating manuals and mechanical catalogues.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng or BTech Engineering
- PrEng registration
- +2 relevant post graduate experience in the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or similar sector of the industry
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.