Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 20 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood is seeking a Principal Geotechnical Engineer specializing in Tailings Dam Engineering to join our team based in any Wood Resilient Environments offices in Ontario with the flexibility to work remotely. The successful candidate will be specialized in mining projects with extensive tailings dam design experience.
The ideal candidate will be a registered Professional Engineer with a strong background in the geotechnical aspects of dam safety evaluations and design. We are seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual who will be able to utilize their knowledge and experience to lead and grow a team of professionals performing engineering, construction and project management on behalf of our mining clients.
- Review and provide recommendations for engineering analysis, design & reports for mining environmental projects; tailings dams, water management system, waste rock, open pit, etc.
- Review of design including stability, seepage, bearing capacity and settlement analyses
- Perform Dam Safety Inspections/Dam Safety Reviews, Dam Safety Evaluations, Risk Assessments
- Perform technical writing & review of proposals & project documents; issued to clients, etc.
- Review design drawings & specifications from scoping study to detailed design and construction
- Review construction and engineering cost estimates
- Review reports and coordinate support activities
- Review findings and prepare recommendations
- Work to lead a group of specialized engineers in a multi-discipline environment
- Liaise with other technical specialists including hydrogeologists, hydrologists, geochemists, rock mechanics, environmental and other disciplines
- Provide quality leadership & mentoring of junior technical staff
Skills / Qualifications
- Graduate from an accredited university with a degree in Geotechnical, Civil, Mining or Geological Engineering
- Minimum of 20 years' experience in design and construction of earth dams obtained largely from mining projects
- Eligibility as a Registered Professional Engineer (P.Eng, ing.), APGO, OIQ
- Extensive experience with design and construction of tailings dams and related mine-site earthworks infrastructure
- EXtensive experience with design work incorporating the principles promoted by the Canadian Dam Association (CDA), or ICOLD, etc.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to travel, domestic & international travel required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.