Skills: Engineering Manager, Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Mechanical Engineering Manager for our Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
Main Purpose of Role
- Manage discipline engineering section to ensure that output is in accordance with project time, budget, client requirements, as well as Company and legislative standards.
- Provide coaching and guidance to less-experienced staff to increase technical competence of people, as well as knowledge of systems and procedures.
- Undertake Principal reviews / audits to ensure that projects are in accordance with project / study requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the WOOD Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
Role Specific Responsibilities
- To manage and facilitate, and conduct where appropriate reviews of projects and designs to ensure that this meets the needs of the customer, WOOD and complies with regulatory authorities.
- Ensure that the quality of output of the department is in line with the needs of the Client, WOOD and regulatory authorities.
- Assure technical and commercial direction to engineers, overview design quality, design schedules, design budgets and perform detailed reviews and audits on critical aspects of projects.
- Provide professional development planning for Mechanical engineers. Act as mentor for graduate engineers and actively encourage professional registration with the Engineering Council of South Africa (ECSA).
- Provide support and encourage continuous improvement and innovation. This would include the concepts and integrated engineering systems and use of 3D design tools.
- Monitor the progress and performance of project discipline teams. Give input and provide feedback and support where necessar
- Review (as applicable) technical specifications, contract specifications, design criteria and other documents required by the project / stud
- Provide technical and commercial direction to engineers in relation to design quality, design schedules and design budget
- Review feasibility studies documentation and Capex and Home Office estimates.
- Assist Project Engineering Management and Director Engineering to assess the suitability of staff and identify the key resources for specific projects/studies.
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects.
- Provide Procedural and Technical design guidance to Project staff on various aspects of design.
- Provide feedback on the quality, use and value of design systems used in design.
- Establish the key performance indicators of the Mechanical Engineering group and use them to set individual goals and measure output Undertake Performance reviews of Engineers including setting of individual objectives and development plans.
- Work with HR and the Director Engineering to ensure best practice during recruitment, terminations and employee relation
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safe ty and environmental issues.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc (Eng), BEng or B.Tech or National Diploma with a minimum of 15 years' experiencewith at least 10 years in the mining and minerals processing area in the design office and in the field.
- ECSA registered Professional Engineer
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 15 years general engineering experience with at least 10 years in the mining and minerals processing area in the design office and in the field.
- Well-developed understanding of Matrix management.
- Good organizational and time management skills.
- Ability to problem-solve effectively.
- Superior interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively work in a team.
- Attention to detail.
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and engineering programs.
- Managerial - leadership ability / skills with ability to delegate effectively.
- Understanding of South African and common International standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector.
- Site experience - construction and commissioning.
- Good commercial awareness/risk management skills.
- Previous experience in a similar position.
- Experience in Engineering management on medium to large projects and studies.
- Good verbal, written interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Motivating and empowering management style.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common-sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own workflow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of team work and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.