Skills: Operations Management
Experience: 20 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Wood currently has an opportunity available for an Operations Manager for our Transportation service line, with authority over infrastructure staff located across Eastern Canada. This is a senior management role within the Wood Operations structure, responsible for leading, growing and managing the business that services all major market sectors within the operations.
The ideal candidate will possess at least 20 years of experience in multi-disciplinary consulting, with the last 10+ years spent in leading diversified operations. The position requires a diverse background with management experience that include a broad knowledge of public and private sector markets with a particular focus in Ontario, specifically the Greater Toronto Area. The candidate will have experience in and across a broad range of services including Civil, Infrastructure, Transportation, Planning, Transit, Traffic and Program /Construction Management. As a manager you will have a high degree of integrity with a commitment to achieving corporate and regional goals and objectives.
This is an ideal opportunity for a 2 IC to take on a leadership role; if you are a strong leader with a strategic vision and a collaborative, client service focused outlook on business and a proven ability in business management, this is the role for you. Come join a winning team.
Strategy & Development :
- Establish long-term business direction based on, market drivers, organizational values, and emerging economic, technological, and regulatory conditions
- Establish and promote a positive, collaborative work environment, by developing productive, collaborative relationships of trust and respect within and across offices and regions, as well as with functions
- Maintain an active presence in the marketplace by networking, selling, establishing teaming partners, and playing an active role in key pursuits
- Engage the office in strategic planning, welcoming new ideas and brainstorming to consider new revenue possibilities, new markets, and new ways to serve customer needs
- Lead a diversified practice that includes multiple facets of transportation and transit services, offering consulting and engineering to local, provincial, and federal consulting customers as well as clients operating in international markets.
- Attract, recruit, and retain key personnel through effective leadership and visibility in the marketplace, looking to foster the long-term success of the organization
- Be a visionary
Client Development :
- Be personable
- Lead the office to implement service practices that meet customers' and organization's needs
- Engage directly with customers on high profile or strategic projects
- Adapt to changing market conditions
Financial Management :
- Manage risk, balance the need for growth with the need to mitigate risk by engaging in proposal and tender review (pricing, risks, cash), contract reviews and negotiation.
- Provide verification of continued risk management (scope, schedule, staffing, safety, etc.) and financial target delivery of key projects through the performance of readiness reviews, project reviews, and project inspections.
- Manage cash flow, by meeting and embracing responsibility and commitment to deliver or exceed budget targets.
- Effectively manage facilities and equipment to facilitate productivity and service delivery, and promote a positive engaged workforce
Leading People & Culture :
- Implement processes and engage with multi-disciplinary teams of people to monitor and improve quality of performance
- Create and promote a working environment and culture that inspires people to align with Wood's core values, of care, commitment, and courage by role modeling, communicating expectations, and rewarding the right behaviors
- Demonstrate and ensure integrity and a commitment to safety and ethics in all ways
- Establishes two-way communication channels to convey business strategies and plans to all employees; engages people by helping them understand the reasons behind organizational initiatives and the value of assigned responsibilities for the individual, team, and organization
Key Relationships :
- Be intuitive and engaging
- Develop, Manage, and Maintain External and Internal Client relationships
- Collaborate with Wood Operations
- Collaborate and consult with Wood Market Sector Leaders
- Oversee and direct activities of local Client Account Managers and communicate/collaborate with Client Account Managers from Wood operations outside Ontario
Skills / Qualifications
- A minimum of 20 years of experience in multi-disciplinary engineering consulting, with the last 10+ years spent in leading diversified operations
- Bachelor's degree in Engineering with Professional Accreditation (P.Eng) would be considered an asset.
- Successful track record for delivering consulting services with diverse public and private sector clients
- A strong background in business management and accounting would be considered a strong asset for this role.
- Knowledgeable and experienced in technical and business risk management through the promotion of highly quality services and contract negotiations
- Diversified experience by practice, technical discipline and client sector creating sustainable client relationships
- Skill and knowledge to successfully work with key clients in various the infrastructure and transportation sectors
- Demonstrated success and experience in building rapport and trust with key clients, business leaders, and team members
- Proven track record as a successful P&L manager
- Possess experience in successfully leading an operation of more than 100 people and $25 million fee revenue in a diversified practice environment
- Skilled at developing transformational, strategic plans consistent with the overall goals of the organization
- Proven effective teambuilding and influencing skills
- Must be able to be based out of our Greater Toronto Area offices full time with the ability to travel to other offices within Ontario
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada without sponsorship
- Must have a valid driver's license with a clean driver's abstract
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.