Skills: Laboratory Ops / Tech, Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Burlington, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently seeking a fulltime permanent Junior Rock Mechanics Laboratory Technician to join our team in Burlington, ON.
- Rock mechanics technician duties will include receiving samples, sample logistics and scheduling, testing, preparation and completion of project file documents.
- Key tasks include the preparation of specimens using diamond saw and grinder, making high-precision measurements of specimen dimensions, and testing specimens using advanced equipment. This work is performed with strict adherence to test methods such as CSA, ASTM, ISRM, OPSS for rock, and occasional concrete and other construction materials.
- Assistance with compilation and analysis of laboratory results
- Assistance with client communication, proposals, and business development activities
- Assistance with project management.
Skills / Qualifications
- Geology/Earth Sciences/Earth Resource technician College Diploma or higher, or similar work experience
- Previous laboratory hands-on experience with geo-materials or mechanical fabrication; 2+ years
- Project management experience considered an asset
- High proficiency in learning to use advanced technology
- Advanced understanding of physics and mechanics
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Word and Excel
- Meticulous attention to detail - this work is used to design mines and mine infrastructure and the importance of proper execution of each task cannot be overstated.
- Conscientious, organized, self-motivated, willing to learn
- Willing to work extra hours, possibly on short notice, to meet strict project deadlines
- Field experience and willingness to travel for occasional field assignments (considered an asset)
- Familiarity and/or certification with MTO, CSA, ASTM or ACI (considered an asset).
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.