Skills: IT - Programming & Database, IT - Software Development
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
INFORMATION & COMMUNICATION TECHNOLOGY
SR. SYSTEMS ENGINEER (TRADING ANALYTICS)
Primary Purpose of Job
Member of the IT team in charge of Trading solutions, fully immerse in QP Trading (QPT) departments:
• Develop and implement greenfield data architecture and processes within the front office of a global LNG trading organisation to enable market analysis and trading functionality.
• Design and construct economic models for market analysis and price prediction, implemented primarily in Python & VBA
• Contribute and support data analysis and model outputs to contextualize and employ data in support of LNG trading activity. Build, maintain, and expand structured databases (MS SQL, Oracle) for the storage and retrieval of global gas & power pricing and fundamentals data.
• Build bespoke data collection (e.g. API connectivity, FTP, HTML web scraping) tools and connections to a variety of remote sources, including non-standard (such as non-western language) web sources. Lead construction of visualisation, reporting, and modelling tools (bespoke web applications, Power BI, Tableau) and provide technical expertise to the wider team in this area.
• Take primary responsibility for driving data quality and integrity standards across the LNG trading organisation, driving processes, standards, and raising general awareness of the importance of world-class data quality throughout the business.
• Provide timely expert and technical support on Trading analytics systems. Contribute as required to IT projects to implement new or transform existing QPT solutions.
• Document and share knowledge & practices related to Trading analytics systems.
• Apply security measures by following security procedures and standards to ensure secure environment. Manage and address Trading systems vulnerabilities and threats.
• Academic background in a computing/data science/mathematics/engineering field
Experience & Skills
• Minimum of 5 years of experience working as a data engineer or front office developer within a commodity trading environment
• Adept at constructing and managing large datasets, including database implementation, data scraping and collection, data clean-up, retrieval, and eventual visualisation & reporting
• Experienced in construction from scratch of detailed and bespoke economic models which interface with data warehouses
• An understanding of the global Gas and LNG markets as well as related Trading business is strongly preferred. Knowledge and experience dealing with LNG/G&P data types & sources
• Extensive knowledge and experience in the implementation and use of visualisation and reporting tools and models, ideally within a front office commodities trading environment
• Extensive experience developing front office trading tools and models • Knowledge of ETL/ETLS and Data Warehousing concepts and technologies
• Ability to implement solutions using Agile methods, including prototyping and tactical solutions to meet the short-term and dynamic needs of the business
Qatar Petroleum is an integrated national oil company (NOC) responsible for the sustainable development of the oil and gas industry in Qatar and beyond.
Qatar Petroleum’s activities encompass the entire spectrum of the oil and gas value chain locally, regionally, and internationally, and include the exploration, refining, production, marketing and sales of oil and gas, liquefied natural gas (LNG), natural gas liquids (NGL), gas to liquids (GTL) products, refined products, petrochemicals, fertilizers, steel and aluminum.
Qatar Petroleum is committed to contribute to a better future by meeting today’s economic needs, while safeguarding our environment and resources for generations to come. Thriving on innovation and excellence, Qatar Petroleum is bound to the highest levels of sustainable human, socio-economic, and environmental development in Qatar and beyond.
For more information, please visit www.qp.com.qa