Reading, England, United Kingdom
Reading, England, United Kingdom
Skills: Waste Management
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Reading, England, United Kingdom
Wood is recruiting for an experienced Senior Consultant to join our Waste and Resource Management team.
Waste and resource management is evolving; from being a "back-end" concern, dealing with wastes when they arise, to one that embraces circular economy thinking and optimises resource use throughout material lifecycles using business models, innovative design, supply chain collaboration and symbioses while focusing on carbon reduction in service delivery.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Consultant to join us in a role that will develop their project management skills, deliver tasks across a variety of projects, and support the development of tenders and business development activities. We are particularly interested in applicants with experience and an interest in the development of waste and carbon assessment models, working across waste collections and treatment / disposal projects. The successful applicant will be working on strategic projects for local authority and private sector clients, as well as with colleagues across other parts of the Wood Advisory Services team, across the UK and overseas; therefore adaptability and flexibility is essential.
The range of activities the post-holder could expect to undertake includes the following:
- Leading and providing support on projects across a wide range of waste and resource management themes, with a focus on municipal waste collection and treatment
- Supporting procurement exercises, including assessing contract extension proposals, developing tender specifications and associated documentation, and evaluating bidder submissions or working with bidders to develop and review their proposals
- T he development of business cases to support the delivery of services differently, whether that be through a change of collection method or service management model
- Waste service and strategy reviews, to analyse the effectiveness and efficiency of existing services to identify improvements and savings for clients
- The identification, performance and cost modelling of alternative waste collection scenarios: assessing any consequential impacts on contracts, infrastructure, budgets, performance and customers.
The post-holder can expect to undertake and review numerical and statistical/modelling work alongside qualitative assessments and the presentation of information in various formats.
While the role will be home based in the immediate term, it is anticipated that the successful candidate will be located to be able to work flexibly from one of our existing offices in Reading, Knutsford or Shrewsbury.
Prime Responsibilities and Duties
- Act as technical expert: providing input into a range of waste and environment-related projects. This will include taking responsibility for the drafting of whole reports (with input from others) or contributing to aspects on other projects, as directed
- Develop and deliver services and task delivery methodologies that are innovative, robust, time and cost effective and client focussed
- Attend meetings with clients from inception stage to final reporting. Such meetings may be attended by a range of stakeholders and clients including Council officers, members and frontline staff, private sector representatives from a number of sectors and other organisations such as WRAP and Defra
- Manage projects by applying Wood's internal procedures ensuring that projects are well monitored, delivered on-time and within budget with high client satisfaction ratings
- Lead and support the development of proposals
- Build and maintain relationships with existing clients, potential clients and other external/internal networks to maintain and increase the profile of the company and to develop work pipelines.
Skills / Qualifications
- Experience of the waste and resources management industry either in a consultancy setting or playing a role in the delivery of in-house or outsourced service delivery
- An understanding of waste and recycling management systems, legislation and policy in the UK
- Experience of working with Officers and elected members at a senior level
- An understanding of waste strategies and the options available to implement them
- E xperience of analysing operational and financial data to identify and understand the root causes of issues, and develop effective solutions
- Modelling of waste services, understanding the processes, inputs, calculations and outputs, supported by excellent numerical, data handling and spreadsheet skills using Microsoft Excel
- High levels of written and verbal communication skills and confident in the delivery of presentations
- E xcellent time management skills, including the ability to respond to requests for outputs at short notice. An ability to innovate and tailor solutions to meet evolving requirements is critical to the role
- E xperience across waste collection authority and waste disposal authority functions or close involvement in work acquired through joint working, partnership activities or project-specific activities
- Working within a technical consultancy environment or within a client organisation involving direct contact with consultants or consultancy projects
- Working within a private sector waste services company supporting the provision of services to local government and private sector customers
- Experience in applying Circular Economy business models
- Experience of waste collections modelling, using either bespoke models or WRAP's Kerbside Analysis Tool (KAT)
- First degree in a relevant subject, expected to be in the field of science, environment or engineering
- U K driving licence
- Second degree in a relevant subject, expected to be in the field of science, environment or engineering
- Chartered status with a relevant organisation (eg CIWM, SocEnv)
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.