Skills: Engineering Manager
Experience: 15 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Sandton, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Project Engineering Manager on a contract basis with extensive experience in the mining and minerals industry on large capital projects, including projects in remote locations and other countries, in particular third world countries.
- Management and coordination of engineering disciplines on various projects and studies
- Manage the engineering design basis for projects and studies, including requirements engineering, technical decisions, trade offs, design risks and safety by design.
- Manage the engineering execution basis for projects and studies, including setup, execution, controlling and close-out of systems, process workflows and engineering deliverables.
- Manage the interfaces between multidisciplinary engineering team, and between engineering and supply chain or construction management.
Key Accountabilities & Responsibilities:
- Assure the inherent safety and integrity of our design, analyses and technical deliverables through the application of sound engineering & technical principles, data and information management, standards, reviews systems and controls.
- Ensure Wood engineering and technical execution strategies, standards and procedures are applied as applicable to assure technical hazard identification and risk assessment, integrity, major incident prevention, human factors, inherent safety and environmental sustainability in delivery.
- Ensure engineering and design work complies with regulatory, licenses and permits, industry standard and customer engineering and technical requirements. Ensure appropriate codes and standards are specified for the intended application when Wood is the design authority.
- Experienced and responsible for the management of the design of all phases of a project or study and execution programming of the project/study.
- Ensure that engineering and design risks are identified, analysed, evaluated, resolved and communicated
- Ensure that technical solutions embody agreed design for safety, operability, maintainability and constructability objectives
- Ensure that design changes, technical decisions, deviations and concessions are managed according to project-defined processes and approvals and their impact assessed prior to implementation.
- Ensure the engineering and design deliverables are defined, planned, monitored and controlled throughout all pertinent project life-cycle stages.
- Ensure that engineering resourcing and competency levels are planned, monitored, controlled and reported for assigned studies and projects.
- Ensure that design assurance activities are planned and implemented on assigned studies and projects, including checking, design reviews, peer reviews, and stage-gate technical reviews.
- Ensure that engineering work packages are produced and delivered to support supply chain and construction management
- Ensure that technical problems and issues are resolved within agreed timeframes, including technical site queries, non-conformances and preventative actions
- Assists the Technical Director with the responsibility for the management of the engineering personnel within the business unit
- Assists the Technical Director with the responsibility for planning of resource allocations per project
- Responsible for the forecasting, control and management of the engineering manhour budget.
- Accountable for the project / study engineering schedule.
- Assists the Technical Director to comply to the Wood Operational Assurance requirements.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc Mechanical Engineering undergraduate degree
- Registered as a professional engineer with ECSA
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 15 years general engineering experience with at least 10 years in the mining and minerals
processing area in the design office and in the field
- Familiar with the project lifecycle of products and systems, from need identification through
conceptualization, requirements engineering, detail design, manufacturing, testing, commissioning and
- A pro-active attitude
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness
- Natural leader of people with willingness to further develop leadership skills
- Strong client relationship and networking ability
- Ability to coach and mentor through empowerment
- A common sense approach to everyday life
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own work flow to meet objectives
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes challenging environment
- Willingness to learn
- An appreciation of the value of team work and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required
- Interpersonal and relationship skills
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.