Skills: CAD / CAM, Design Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions Portland, Maine Office is seeking a Senior Mechanical (CAD) Designer. The Wood E&IS Portland, Maine Office is a multi-disciplinary science/engineering/architecture team of 150+ staff, located in one of the most livable cities in the US. Wood offers the technical challenges of projects located throughout the US and globally within the relaxed environment of a small, vibrant city.
The role of a Senior Mechanical (CAD) Designer is to work within multidisciplinary teams of engineers to prepare plans for building projects based on designs developed by engineers at Wood. The Senior Mechanical (CAD) Designer will be responsible for layout of equipment, ductwork, and piping to facilitate good equipment access and performance. This position requires working with structural, electrical engineers and architects to coordinate mechanical systems with other trades. Projects include building restoration, renovation, and new construction in commercial, municipal, federal, and industrial sectors. Position will primarily work in an office setting and may require occasional field work.
- Experienced designer with strong technical background
- In-depth knowledge of CAD drafting techniques.
- Experience with development, coordination, and maintenance of 3D graphic visual display and modeling work; REVIT is a MUST.
- Knowledge of project QA/QC requirements
- Knowledge of engineering practices, codes and standards, and specifications.
- Experience and interest in mechanical HVAC, piping, ductwork, and plumbing design.
- Experience with creating a set of construction documents .
- Must be able to communicate with project and lead engineers and architects in all disciplines.
- Has demonstrated capability to design independently with minimum to no supervision.
- Has experience in preparation of bill of materials
- Review and preparation of as-built drawings.
- Assist with collection of design information.
- Familiar with planning, progress monitoring, forecasting, and reporting for drafting functions.
- Ability to estimate man-hours required to prepare drawings.
- Use of Microsoft Excel for calculations and equipment schedules.
- Use of Microsoft Word for putting sequences of operation and specifications on plans.
- Assists team in preparing construction contract documents, plans, and reports.
- Conducts basic interpretations of drawings for compliance with codes and other standards.
- Performs field work as directed by an engineer.
- Must pass a drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record.
Skills / Qualifications
Capabilities and Credentials
- Proficient in Microsoft (MS) Office Suite
- Proficient in AutoCAD and other relevant design software
- Proficient with Revit and Navisworks
- Ability to participate and collaborate in project team setting, engage in creative and critical thought, and effectively communicate concepts and ideas to others.
Education and Experience
- Associates degree in Mechanical Engineering or related field,
- Ten to fifteen years of experience employed as a mechanical designer.
Join our Portland Wood Team, we are a team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base. Our team takes pride in maintaining a small family-like environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large international organization. Our Portland office is right in the heart of Downtown Portland; nestled in a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you're an outdoor enthusiast or love the Arts - something for everyone! Considered the hub of Wood's Northeast Region, we are looking to grow our team to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision - Join us!
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.