Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 25 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is seeking Geotechnical Engineer for work involving engineering design, subsurface investigations, laboratory testing, and construction support in our Portland, ME office. This individual will interface with both internal and external clients; be dynamic, creative, quality driven, have excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills; and be a proactive problem solver. The Wood Portland, Maine Office offers the opportunity to work on technically challenging projects for a wide range of clients throughout the US from the relaxed environment of a small, vibrant city.
The ideal candidate will have a solid background in geotechnical engineering/earthworks as well as excellent interpersonal skills, excellent written and verbal communication skills, very detail oriented and will be a proactive problem solver. This position offers the opportunity to work with, learn from, and be mentored by senior engineering staff while executing the following roles/responsibilities:
- Plan, conduct, and implement geotechnical/environmental field investigations, including directing drilling and excavation contractors.
- Monitor and oversee drilling and earthwork construction activities.
- Prepare construction field reports and internal correspondence.
- Travel to monitor construction, meet clients, and/or visit sites in support of design and construction for both short-term and long-term field assignments.
- Develop laboratory testing programs and interpret test data for use in recommendations and/or designs.
- Work in a multi-disciplined team, often with others in remote locations, and be able to effectively communicate with others with different technical priorities.
- Review and compile field and laboratory data and conduct engineering analyses for design of geotechnical, civil, and environmental construction projects.
- Prepare geotechnical investigation reports in support of design and construction projects.
- Prepare design drawings and technical specifications, bidding documents, and construction summary documents.
Skills / Qualifications
- BS in Civil/Environmental/Geotechnical Engineering.
- 2 to 5 years of civil design and construction experience with a focus on geotechnical investigation, design and earthworks construction.
- Experience conducting geotechnical analysis for soil bearing capacity, foundation settlement, slope stability
- Engineer-In-Training (EIT) or Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) certification.
- Interest/aptitude in construction and design-build.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated professional judgment, consistency and attention to detail.
- Strong computer skills.
- Ability and willingness to travel to project sites.
- Adaptability and willingness to adjust to client needs.
- Must pass drug test, physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
- MS in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering.
- Geo-environmental experience related to contamination assessment and remedial construction.
- Geotechnical drilling oversight experience.
- Construction inspection/oversight experience.
- Geotechnical instrumentation monitoring experience.
- Experience in preparing and implementing contract construction documents.
- Geotechnical laboratory testing experience/knowledge.
- Experience in performing geotechnical analyses using software and development of clear calculations.
- 40-hour OSHA HAZWOPER Training.
- Field activities may require working in unfavorable weather conditions.
- Will lift equipment and carry laboratory samples which require the ability to lift up to 40 pounds.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.