Skills: Project Management, Design Engineer, Technical Manager
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: London, England, United Kingdom
Wood is a world leading engineering and consultancy company across energy & the built environment. We are now recruiting for a Director to lead our Built Environment team based in the UK. We are targeting strategic growth of our Built Environment consulting division and the role comes with significant business and market visibility.
This is an exciting opportunity for a proven leader to join our Sustainable Infrastructure team which designs and delivers assets that help the built environment function more sustainably. With a civil engineering or design background your focus will be to drive, grow and develop an established places and place making, land and development, transport, remediation, ground engineering and civil infrastructure team delivering projects across the UK and Europe. This role can be based in one of our UK offices (London, Reading, Bristol, Shrewsbury, Leamington Spa, Knutsford, Leeds, Newcastle upon Tyne or Glasgow) with flexibility to work from home occasionally.
The team, currently numbering in excess of 100 staff, is forecast to grow substantially in the next 3 years in line with Wood's global consulting strategy that includes a focus on infrastructure delivery and resiliency and the successful candidate will be responsible for steering the team through that growth.
The role will be highly visible within our business, connecting across our Consulting service lines and with our Projects and Operations businesses in the UK and globally. A global community unlocking the world's big challenges for a cleaner, fairer, healthier tomorrow.
You will work closely with our Growth and Development team who will support you on markets, key accounts and service development and you will have a key role in shaping innovation in our products and services. Our services include outline/detailed design to major infrastructure projects and we act, inter alia, as Technical Advisor, Principal Designer, Independent Certifier and Employers Agent.
The role is to be accountable for achieving business growth objectives, for ensuring safe and competent delivery of projects and for ensuring the appropriate development of the staff resource. The team operates across the Defence, Transportation, Property, Nuclear and Government sectors and the successful candidate will have a proven track record across multiple sectors. The team has won several industry awards over the last three years and has secured work to be delivered on significant national projects. The successful candidate will be client and industry facing building sustainable successes and growth.
- Business Leadership: manage and direct the team comprising >100 staff across 9 UK locations. Drive business growth in three key sectors: Defence, Transport, Property (including government property). Raise the market profile of the business unit and establish/maintain strategic partnering relationships
- Business Management: direct teams to ensure safe, technically competent, client focused and profitable delivery of projects, with accountability for project portfolio financial performance. Contribute to the profitable management of the Sustainable Infrastructure Service Line, reporting directly to the Vice President Sustainable Infrastructure. Work closely with members of the European management team to identify and capture significant opportunities
- Growth: collaborating with a diverse group of stakeholders across the Wood business, identify and lead the capture of opportunities to grow the service offering and develop the existing client base. Leadership and direction of commercially astute bidding
- Technical Excellence: demonstrate excellence in your technical discipline to establish and deliver major engineering and construction projects
- Technical Delivery: deliver technical engineering design into RIBA Stage 0-7 projects
- Staff Management: Manage and direct staff across the Built Environment Service Area, providing support to direct reports and the wider team of over 100 staff
- Project Direction: undertake Project Director, Account Management and/or Framework Director roles on long term and large scale projects/opportunities; including projects outside of the UK including Middle East
Skills / Qualifications
Skills / Experience
- Experience leading an engineering/design consultancy group with accountability for business performance and staff management
- Experience in technical delivery, managing and directing, across a number of sectors, including in the UK
- Experience in strategic bidding in a target sector
- Experience in the management of multi-disciplinary technical teams in the design and implementation of engineering works, including design integration
- Experience of client and/or partnership management
- Experience of working collaboratively within a large global consultancy
- Experience of driving excellence in Engineering Design, Project Management and Technical Assurance delivery
- Experience of delivering major multi-disciplinary projects in Europe or the Middle East
- Qualified to degree level (or equivalent) in an Engineering Discipline, preferably Civil Engineering
- Chartered Engineer or similar equivalent
- Member of a relevant professional body such as ICE
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.