Job Title: Lead Process Controls Engineer Job Type: Permantent, Full-Time
Location: Beaumont, TXReports to: Engineering Manager Direct Reports: Controls Engineer(s) I/II, Senior Controls Engineer
NES Fircroft is a leading global technical recruitment company providing professional contract and permanent staff to a diverse world-wide client base within the energy industry. Our client, a specialty chemicals operator, has a permanent opportunity for a Lead Process Controls Engineer to be based in Beaumont, TX. JOB SUMMARY / OVERVIEW
The Process Control Lead Engineer primarily applies principles, knowledge, and practices of process engineering for timely identification, analysis, and resolution of process related issues to ensure safe, reliable, and cost-efficient plant operations. Utilize current and new industry developments to improve plant performance and reliability, which includes initiating and developing plant improvement modifications/projects. Support the Engineering Manager in the areas of project management, development of budgets and execution of the Manufacturing Policy and Plan. Assume the responsibilities of the Engineering Manager when required. RESPONSIBILITIES
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and competencies.
• Develop and implement appropriate plant/process monitoring and optimization systems.
• Provide process controls engineering assistance/support to the Operations Team as required.
• Provide evaluations on assigned and self-initiated tasks (identifying, analyzing, and recommending actions to address abnormal and less efficient plant parameters).
• Participate in and at times lead incident investigation teams for troubleshooting and determining root cause of plant issues/problems.
• Supervise Process Controls team.
• Review and recommend changes to the plant "cause and effect matrix" to improve plant reliability and protect plant assets.
• Develop plant modifications for projects within all degrees of complexity.
• Understand and comply with the Management of Change (MOC) process.
• Participate in and lead at times the ‘What Ifs' and HAZOP studies.
• Apply basic project management skills - cost, schedule tracking, etc.
• Be up to date with and apply state of the art developments/technologies applicable to the methanol industry, as required.
• Provide necessary process controls support to guide the timing of plant shutdowns and turnarounds.
• Provide process controls expertise on plant shutdown and turnaround activities - planning and execution phases.
• Identify projects, supported with written justification, for inclusion in capital expenditure budgets.
• Work with contractors and outside vendors/suppliers for developing project concepts, quoting, developing scope of work and cost justifications regarding projects.
• Develop special procedures that involve process controls knowledge, e.g., alarm management, control philosophy
• Develop control logics for BPCS and Safety systems (Algorithm, guidance on how to implement)
• Support implementation of BPCS and Safety logics in Yokogawa Centum VP and Prosafe RS
• Commissioning of new subsystem and integration with Yokogawa UGS via Modbus
• Commissioning of new process modifications systems
• Support operation and engineering team in troubleshooting logics
• Process Optimization
• PID loop tuning, modifying control algorithm based on process conditions
• Develop new Basic and advanced process control schemes to support operation, production, and product quality
• Automation of reports and other operations
• Develop and generate relevant management production and consumption reports - daily, monthly, etc.
• Carry out and review Control Equipment Performance Evaluations, KPIs, decide and make recommendations to the Plant Team and Management based on these evaluations.OTHER
• Live up to the key values of the Organization and act accordingly during the whole life cycle of our human assets.
• Present a professional image at all times to co-workers, clients and vendors and maintain a positive reputation of the Organization.
• Be aware and comply with Human Resources policies and procedures.
• Actively seek and pursue development of skills needed to progress in the field of engineering and leadership/management.
• Support and promote a pro-active HSSE culture within the Organization and develop leadership skills in HSSE.
• Ensure and improve effective HSSE management.
• Ensure all HSSE systems and procedures are adhered to.
• Perform compliance audits on SIS systems, as required, and take appropriate action to correct non-compliance and reinforce positive behaviors.
• Provide engineering support to the Operations Team in the development of guidelines to ensure plant and equipment are operated in a manner that poses no threat to the environment.
• Ensure and improve effective Incident Management Response.
• Ensure all incidents are promptly reported, participate in investigations as necessary and complete assigned tasks within the stipulated time.
• Ensure and improve effective Asset Management.
• Provide engineering support to the Operations Team in the development and routine review of guidelines and procedures to ensure Plant and equipment are operated within design limits.
• Provide engineering support to assess abnormal Plant conditions and develop guidelines to mitigate and manage these conditions.
• Support full compliance to HSSE related legislation & regulations, corporate requirements, and management system(s) (i.e., operating policies and procedures).
• Assist other Departments and other administrative personnel, as necessary.
• Perform other tasks as assigned. QUALIFICATIONS EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, AND/OR TRAINING
- Bachelor's Degree in Chemical or Instrumentations Engineering required.
- Minimum of Ten (10) years experience in Engineering required.
- Experience in programmable control system specification, configuration, networking, commissioning and technical support with a mix of plant and engineering environments.
- Experience using Yokogawa DCS highly preferred.
Preferred Knowledge/Skills, Education, And Experience
- Previous experience supervising, mentoring, and training others.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES SOFTWARE
- Strong understanding of control theory, PLCs, and/or DCS systems
- Software and/or programming experience
- Preferred education BSCS, BSEE, BSME or BSCE
• Proficiency in Microsoft Office, including Excel, Word, and Outlook required.
• Centum VP
• Prosafe RS
• Exaquantum PIMS
This is an excellent opportunity to become part of a specialty chemicals company who are driving forward innovative solutions. The successful applicant will receive a competitive base salary, medical benefits, life insurance, PTO, holidays, and more. For further information regarding this role, please contact Mishu Ventura.
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.