Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 8 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Midrand, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Mechanical Engineer (Package Engineer) with experience in the Oil & Gas, Petrochemical or similar sector of the industry .
- Senior mechanical engineer with extensive package experience, as well as being well versed with rotating equipment, static (pressure vessels) equipment, mechanical handling.
- Take mechanical lead on EPCm execution projects, studies, feasabilities and tenders ensuring work standards are met.
- Deputise for the Chief (HOD) Mechanical Engineer when requested.
- Responsible for the engineering and approval of rotating equipment, mechanical handling and packaged units on assigned projects.
- Responsible for preparation and approval of project related standards and job notes.
- Ensure that engineering activities on assigned projects are executed within budgeted manhours and approved schedules in compliance with project procedures, standards and specifications and in accordance with company procedures and the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of South Africa.
- Review and approve project schedules with the Project Engineer and/or the Project Planner to see that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
- Review and approve flowsheets for correctness of depicting of rotating equipment, mechanical handling and packaged units, operating and design conditions and piping and instrumentation connections.
- Develop equipment specifications to meet the client's standards, international and South African standards and regulatory requirements.
- Prepare technical bid analysis and evaluation reports for rotating equipment, mechanical handling and packaged units.
- Review and approve supplier documents for rotating equipment, mechanical handling and packaged units and distribute.
- Responsible for overall technical management/co-ordination on supplier orders for rotating equipment, mechanical handling and packaged units. This includes technical management/co-ordination with other engineering disciplines.
- Give guidance to client, project engineers, other specialist engineers and inspectors on rotating equipment, mechanical handling and packaged units engineering matters. Coordinate review of all other engineering aspects of package unit supplier's drawings.
- Perform inspection and witness performance testing where required.
- Provide progress report information, at the required frequency and with the required content, to the Project Engineer/ Project Manager throughout the project execution.
- Provide information where necessary to estimating the cost of contract changes, Alert the Project Engineer / Project Manager to circumstances considered to be subject to contract change.
- Assist where necessary, in the construction, handover and commissioning of rotating equipment, mechanical handling and packaged units.
- Assist in the training and knowledge transfer of rotating equipment, mechanical handling and packaged units expertise to Graduate and Mechanical Engineers as required.
- Technical Design Ability - Under minimal supervision completes technical design work using company and Client design methods, standards and data in line with Project requirements. Provision of support to designers.
- Technical Expertise - Possesses advanced levels of technical expertise required to do the job, however continuously work towards improving and updating technical abilities. Will personally seek out opportunities to develop technical knowledge base.
- Cross Discipline Project and Team Interaction - Appreciation of project set up and team structure across disciplines. Under minimal guidance working with other discipline designers.
- Understanding and meeting schedule and schedule dependencies - Awareness of personal targets for deliverable production and deliverable schedule.
- Commercial Awareness and Customer Focus - Under minimal direction develops the engineering requirement.
- Interpretation of Engineering Requirements - Under minimal direction develops the engineering requirement.
- Carries out, or participates in, discipline (technical) audits and responds with relevant corrective action.
- Promotes an enthusiastic HSSE & QA culture that delivers positive commitment to and engages all employees in continuous improvement in business performance.
- Monitors personnel under his/her area of control comply with their individual responsibilities.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng, BTech (Mechanical)
- 8-10 Years minimum experience in Petro-chemical
- ECSA registered or eligible for registration
- Initiative - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Change and Adaptability - Gains awareness for, and an understanding of, the position of stakeholders. Readily adapts to changing circumstances
- Interpersonal Communications - Actively listens and seeks to understand others' points of view. Communicates openly and honestly to all levels of the organization. Expresses ideas and exchanges information clearly and persuasively
- Problem Solving - Grasps new or unfamiliar concepts quickly and can effectively deal with complexity and ambiguity. Identifies issues in a constructive manner and recommends solutions. Uses innovative and novel approaches to find solutions
- Planning, Organising & Execution Prioritizes and plans work activities. Uses time efficiently. elati networking ability.
elationship and networking ability.
Amec Foster Wheeler (www.amecfw.com) designs, delivers and maintains strategic and complex assets for its customers across the global energy and related sectors.
Employing around 36,000 people in more than 55 countries and with 2015 revenues of £5.5 billion, the company operates across the oil and gas industry - from production through to refining, processing and distribution of derivative products - and in the mining, clean energy, power generation, pharma, environment and infrastructure markets.
Amec Foster Wheeler offers full life-cycle services to offshore and onshore oil and gas projects (conventional and unconventional, upstream, midstream and downstream) for greenfield, brownfield and asset support projects, plus leading refining technology.
Amec Foster Wheeler shares are publicly traded on the London Stock Exchange and its American Depositary Shares are traded on the New York Stock Exchange. Both trade under the ticker AMFW.
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.