Skills: Ships Mate / Officer
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: St. John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada
Reports to: Captain
Job Summary: Reporting to the Captain, the Chief Officer is responsible for the safe and efficient operation, administration and supervision of the deck crew.
- High School Diploma or Equivalent
- Chief Mate Near Coastal or higher certificate of competency issued by Transport Canada
- STCW Basic Safety
- STCW Survival Craft
- Valid Marine Basic or Advanced First Aid
- Ship Security Officer Certificate of Competency
- Transport Canada Marine Medical
- 2+ years previous experience as a Chief Mate
- Passenger Safety Management Training considered an asset
- Specialized Oil Tanker Endorsement considered an asset
- GLPA Pilotage certification considered an asset
- Experienced with Safety Management Systems (e.g. ISO & ISM)
- Experience with Microsoft Suite considered an asset
- Excellent organizational, communication and interpersonal skills
- Must pass Physical, Drug Screen and Background/Pre-Employment Screening Checks
- Responsible for the safe and efficient operation, supervision and training of the deck crew
- Responsible for performing vessel navigation watch duties.
- Second in command of the vessel and officer in charge when the Captain is absent
- Ensures that the deck crew is adequately manned and equipped in accordance with company standards and policies
- Communicates expectations, assignments and responsibilities to deck crew
- Implements and ensures adherence to all statutory and legislative rules and regulations
- Ensures all deck personnel and new hires are familiar with company policies and procedures
- Ensures that company's policies, procedures and health and safety programs are communicated, understood and adhered to by all crew members
- Determines the ship's speed and location using navigational aids
- Responsible for the entire cargo operations which includes loading, unloading, and cargo planning.
- Responsible for maintaining the ships' log book, daily records, and permits in accordance with company and regulatory requirements
- Responsible for the investigation of any incidents or near misses and the implementation of any corrective action
- The maintenance and upkeep of the hull, decks, superstructures, and towing gear
- Ensures that lifesaving and firefighting equipment are properly inspected and maintained
- GMDSS responsibilities
- Other duties as assigned
It is the objective of Puglisevich and it's client to ensure employment equity within the workplace. We encourage applications from Indigenous peoples, visible minorities, women, and persons with disabilities having the capability, qualifications and experience to make application for this position.
Position Chief Mate - Marine Location Puglisevich Crews & Services Limited - NL EOE Statement We are an equal employment opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by law.
Puglisevich provides qualified personnel to drilling contractors, ensuring continued productivity and efficiency on their offshore rigs. At the same time, we offer candidates the chance to start or continue an exciting career in a dynamic and challenging offshore environment!
We specialize in contract and temporary positions, that could potentially to lead to full time positions. Our main goal is for employees to be successful in obtaining full time employment offshore, in an equal time rotation.
Apply today and let’s chat. This is the best opportunity to start your career offshore!
Make sure to follow us on LinkedIn, Facebook, & Twitter for future opportunities: