Skills: IT - Software Development
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering AGV Systems, an Oceaneering International Company, develops, implements and markets Automated Guided Vehicle Systems (AGVs), navigation hardware, and software. We offer customized and automated transport solutions to efficiently, competitively and effectively meet the ever-increasing transport demands of various industries by increasing productivity, reliability, flexibility and safety standards through innovation, expertise and robustness. Oceaneering AGV Systems has been delivering automatic guided vehicle solutions to the world's leading companies for 30 years.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Automated Guided Vehicles (AGVs).
**Please note this is a direct hire and as such no agency assistance is invited at this time - thankyou**
Duties & Responsibilities
As a Field Software Engineer you will be responsible for supporting customers/clients and internal departments with the AGV control software, hardware and its related uses. This would include, but is not limited to installing software at customer/client sites, commissioning vehicles, creating and troubleshooting vehicle routes and traffic rules, calibrating vehicles, analyzing software issues in the field, programming/installing/troubleshooting PLCs and writing training and technical documentation, training the customer. The position requires strong troubleshooting, support and software competency skills with some proficiency in electro-mechanical systems.
Given that we have a global customer/client base, you must be willing to travel and stay abroad for several weeks at a time, as you will be responsible for the successful installation at the customer/client site.
- Installation, commissioning and handover of AGV systems to the customer/client at their site
- Troubleshooting software issues and either providing fixes or interfacing with the software engineering group to provide fixes
- Testing the AGV system software;
- Calibrating, commissioning and testing vehicles
- Troubleshooting wireless/wired networks; and electro-mechanical vehicle issues
- Programming, installing and troubleshooting PLCs
- Providing second tier software support to customers/clients
- Creating, analyzing and troubleshooting vehicle routes and traffic rules to optimize material flow
- Writing training and support documentation
- Providing customer training
- Continuously improving our processes and procedures to optimize development efficiency
- Willingness to be in the rotation pool for 24/7 2nd line support.
- The role requires a customer/client focused attitude, an ability to interact with customers/clients and to remain calm and professional in a demanding and dynamic work environment.
- The role requires willingness to travel abroad internationally for several weeks at a time during system installation. During peak times travel can be up to 70% with the average being 50%.
- Additional duties as assigned.
Ensure that the Safety policies and procedures are understood and adhered to so far as is reasonably practicable in order to ensure a safe working environment.
Carry out work in accordance with the Company Health, Safety, Environmental and Quality Systems.
Perform the assigned tasks with due diligence regarding the Integrated Management Systems on the Company.
Eliminate waste of whatever form, to suggest the use of more environmentally friendly substances and practices and contribute to the continuous improvement of the environment.
- This position has NO direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Software Engineering Manager
- Technical Bachelor or Master's degree, preferably in Computer Science, Automation Technology, Information Technology or equivalent work experience;
- Minimum 2 years of experience in writing application software for technical applications;
- Engineering mindset to breakdown and analyze complex problems and create optimal solutions;
- Ability to act independently applying innovative solutions to complex problems;
- Experience programming in C/C++;
- User level proficiency with Linux and knowledgeable of the Windows operating systems;
- Understanding of networking hardware and software including UDP and TCP;
- Ability to read, understand, debug and modify existing product code;
- Experience with integrating with enterprise systems such as databases, ERP systems, and factory automation systems.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in German and English
- Experience with AGV systems;
- Experience with CAD like programs;
- Experience with programming in Linux; (tool chains, IDE's, etc.);
- Experience with issue tracking systems, preferably Jira;
- Experience with versions control systems, preferably Subversion and GIT;
- Knowledge of object-oriented programming;
- Experience with programming network communications (UDP and TCP);
- Experience with programming in Java, Python;
- Written and oral communication skills in Dutch
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.