Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Aberdeenshire, UK, United Kingdom
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: United Kingdom
Our Client is looking for a Lawyer for a contract position, located in Aberdeenshire.
The Legal Department provides a legal and commercial advisory service to the company and other group companies. The Legal Department also provides a Company Secretarial service.
Matters include: matters which are highly sensitive within the company or where the matter is of interest beyond company; highly complex matters where the law may not provide a black or white answer and where legal documentation is frequently complex; matters which may be politically sensitive e.g. seen as high risk or commercially very important to the whole company.
Both legal and commercial negotiations are often conducted with multiple parties which requires careful co-ordination and attention to multiple documents. Life span of documents (e.g. licences, joint venture agreements, gas contracts) may span decades. The department also provides other non-legal services such as insurance services. As appropriate, the Legal Department will call on and manage lawyers in private practice e.g. to pursue litigation cases.
- Carry out the activities of the job
- Be responsible for meeting agreed objectives
- Act in the best interest at all times
- Seek out learning opportunities and transfer new skills and knowledge to the job
- Proactively seek advice from and consult with senior lawyers in the team
- Adhere to the values and principles of the Company Code of Conduct at all times
- Openly question established practices and achieve continuous quality and commercial improvements
- Willingly and openly share knowledge and good practice, providing legal support to all Group entities operating in the United Kingdom within the remit.
- Actively identify best practice (industry, technical, professional, etc.) and share with other members of the team in a structured manner, for example, by presenting at team meetings and/or preparing briefing notes
- Develop value awareness and think in terms of cost/benefit trade-off
- Adapt creative and alternative approaches to problem-solving by initiating proposals for improvement Under the supervision of a senior lawyer in the team or, when considered appropriate by the General Counsel, autonomously:
- Provide a 'help desk' service to colleagues on a range of legal matters, providing a 'headline' response to phone calls, memos and other requests for help, in order to provide a prompt and accurate response to simple queries
- Provide detailed advice and guidance on specific matters, based on a full understanding of the matter and including detailing options and consequences, to enable colleagues to make legal and commercial decisions based on considered and measured risks
- Ensure clarity of understanding of the commercial and legal requirements of the business, provide legal and commercially aware advice and prepare legal documentation for negotiation
- Negotiate legal and contractual matters with third parties on behalf of build and manage relationships with third parties, and provide high quality legal input, in order to achieve a successful outcome for the company
- Carry out research, provide summaries and analysis of legal issues required and/or instruct external counsel to carry out this work when deemed appropriate by the General Counsel
- Provide legal advice on a portfolio of matters, some of which may be handled over some months, to ensure that all matters are handled professionally and successfully
- Maintain a professional awareness of Legal developments relevant to the industry and with internal compliance requirements
- As requested by the General Counsel, assist in the discharge of the company secretarial function of the Legal Department, preparing documents for the signature of the company's Managing Director, together with appropriate explanation (e.g. summaries of documents) in support the Company Secretary
- Law degree in a recognized jurisdiction
- Fully qualified lawyer in a recognized jurisdiction
- Experience, including practicing at a senior level as a commercial lawyer, gained in private practice or industry (minimum 5 years qualified), preferably with relevant experience of legal practice as an upstream oil and gas lawyer