Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Senior Instrumentation Engineer for our Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
- Responsible for the design and approval of all Instrument work on assigned projects.
- Responsible for preparation and approval of project related standards and job notes.
- Ensure that engineering activities on assigned projects are executed within budgeted manhours and approved schedules in compliance with project procedures, standards and specifications and in accordance with procedures and the requirements of the Occupational Health and Safety Act of South Africa.
- Review and approve project schedules with the Project Engineer to see that all dates, rates of progress and design periods are realistic.
- Prepare and approve project specific standards and job notes.
- Reflect instrument requirements on project MFD's / P&ID's utilising ISA standards and symbology.
- Prepare a project instrument index reflecting all instrumentation requirements inclusive of instrument type selection compliant to process criteria.
- Prepare requisition index for Instrument work, indicating planned issue date for each requisition. Update and re-issue monthly.
- Check and approve the drawing index for Instrument drawings.
- Prepare and approve general notes requisitions for Instrumentation.
- Design and requisition Instrumentation. This includes instrument size and protection methodology calculations and verification checks.
- Assist the designers with the preparation of Instrument drawings.
- Review and approve all Instrument drawings and ensure that the quality of design and drawings produced for enquiry and fabrication purposes is of satisfactory standard.
- Prepare technical bid analysis for Instrumentation.
- Attend coordination meetings and engineering review meetings with supplier as required.
- Review document requirements and issue dates for major equipment with suppliers and assist Procurement Department in compiling a Supplier's Document Index.
- Assist Procurement Department with the expediting of supplier documents.
- Review and approve supplier documents for Instrumentation and distribute.
- Review in conjunction with Procurement Department all claims by supplier for an increase in the engineering scope of work.
- Give guidance to client, project engineers, other specialist engineers and inspectors on Instrument engineering matters. Review Instrument aspects of package unit supplier's drawings as requested by the engineer responsible for the equipment.
- Ensure that Instrument engineering operations are complete in accordance with the approved project schedule and within allocated manhours.
- Co-ordinate with Procurement Department and ensure certified drawings are available in time to meet the engineering schedules.
- Notify the Project Engineer of all deficiencies in the flow of data or other basic information required for execution of work.
- Provide progress report information, at the required frequency and with the required content, to the Project Engineer.
- Provide information where necessary to estimating the cost of contract changes, Alert the Project Engineer / Project Manager to circumstances considered to be subject to contract change.
- Follow up Instrumentation construction work on project sites to ensure correct interpretation of designs regarding installation.
- Keep abreast of development in the Instrument engineering field.
- Suggest ways to improve efficiency, costs and service in the execution of projects.
- Assist where necessary in the compilation of operating manuals and mechanical catalogues.
Skills / Qualifications
- Degree, BTech or National Higher Diploma in Electrical Engineering
- ECSA registration as Professional Engineer or Professional Technologist Engineer (or working towards registration).
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- A minimum of 5 years' working experience in a project engineering environment, preferably within the resources/minerals processing industry in Africa.
- Site instrument engineer with plant installation and commissioning experience
- Willing and able to work in Mauritania
- QA/QC activities, contractor supervision
- Experience in managing relationships with clients, contractors and service providers.
- Excellent English language skills, both verbal and written.
- Ability to communicate in a clear manner and express own ideas with confidence.
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and to engage with multiple stakeholders and people at all organisational levels.
- Clear logical thinker, with the ability to make good decisions under pressure.
- Ability to prioritise multiple tasks and keep in balance multiple priorities/demands.
- Good attention to detail and ability to facilitate appropriate information sharing amongst project stakeholders.
- Ability to think outside the box to find the best solutions to problems.
- Good level of self-awareness, emotional maturity and resilience.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.