Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
Wood serves many of the world leaders in the mining industry. The company maintains mining offices across Canada, the USA and Australia, as well as in Santiago, Chile; Lima, Peru; and Johannesburg, South Africa .
Wood currently has an opportunity for a Senior Mining Engineer in our Vancouver office (location flexible). Reporting to the Consulting Manager, Canada, this position has responsibility for executing technical consulting studies. This position requires strong technical, managerial and business leadership skills. The candidate shall be comfortable working in a multi-disciplinary environment providing engineering expertise in the matters of open pit metal operations, with operations and engineering roles of increasing responsibility in the mining and consulting industry.
If you have a successful track record and thrive on challenges in a fast paced environment, this is the opportunity for you.
- Providing technical execution skills for a diverse mining engineering team ranging from junior to principal level staff
- Develop mine designs, strategic mine planning and scheduling, and delivering technical study reports
- Development of capital and operating cost estimates for mining project and studies;
- Providing specialist technical input, leadership and management on multi-disciplinary studies and projects including as mining lead on consulting studies
- Act as senior peer review on consulting studies performed by others
- Ensuring projects are completed on time, within budget and in accordance with Wood standards
- Managing interactions between consulting, engineering and client teams
- Ability to secure consulting work for the Vancouver office by establishing and maintaining client relationships and developing business leads and work opportunities
- Soliciting work and preparing proposals and bids for all levels of studies and engineering projects
- Supporting continuous development of company cost and design databases
- Scope definition, budget and proposal preparation for mining consulting projects.
- Actively supporting business development activities through participation in conferences, direct business development activities and strategic client relationship management
- Ensuring compliance with company health and safety policies, project management and commercial procedures
Skills / Qualifications
- Undergraduate or graduate degree in Mining Engineering
- Professional Engineering membership in the province of British Columbia or other Canadian or USA jurisdiction
- A minimum of 10-15 years' experience of combined mining industry experience in operations and engineering consulting industry
- Qualified person (QP) for underground and/or open pit mining studies
- Familiarity with mine planning software systems such as Vulcan, MineSight, HaulSim, Deswik, Surpac/MineSched, MinePlan, VentSim
- Capable of utilizing industry knowledge to develop mine designs and production plans
- Knowledge of industry standards in mineral resource and mineral reserve estimation (such as JORC, CIM or SME guidelines) and compliance with public disclosure regulations
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated leadership skills in the management of technical people and advanced projects
- Willingness to travel both domestically and internationally, for varying durations and at times to remote locations
- Strong network with mining clients is considered a strong asset
- Authorization to work lawfully in Canada or USA without sponsorship from Wood is required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.