Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Wood is seeking a Senior Geotechnical Engineer with tailings and dam engineering experience to join our team in Montreal, Quebec. The successful candidate will be specialized in mining projects with extensive geotechnical or construction experience, in mining, tailings and dams.
You are a registered Professional Engineer with the Ordre des ingenieurs du Quebec (OIQ) with a strong background in the geotechnical aspects of dam safety evaluations and design. We are seeking a committed, detail-oriented individual who will be able to utilize their knowledge and experience. With a demonstrated ability to lead and grow a team of professionals performing engineering, construction and project management on behalf of our clients.
- Provide engineering analysis, design and reporting for mining related projects: tailings dams, water management systems, waste rock piles, open pits, etc.
- Perform design and analytical functions including stability, seepage, bearing capacity and settlement analyses
- Perform Dam Safety Inspections/Dam Safety Reviews, Dam Safety Evaluations, Risk Assessments
- Perform technical writing and review of proposals and project documents; issued to clients, etc.
- Prepare design drawings and specifications from scoping study to detailed design and construction
- Develop construction and engineering cost estimates
- Prepare reports and coordinate support activities
- Review findings and prepare recommendations
- Work as an integral team member in a multi-discipline environment
- Liaise with other technical disciplines including hydrogeology, hydrology, geochemistry, rock mechanics and environment
- Provide quality leadership and mentoring of junior technical staff
- Manage contractors and sub-consultants
- Manage projects in remote regions
Skills / Qualifications
- Graduate from an accredited university with a degree in Geotechnical, Civil, Mining or Geological Engineering
- Experience in civil, geotechnical or related experience in design or construction of earth dams obtained largely from mining projects with dam design
- Registered Professional Engineer with the Ordre des ingenieurs du Quebec (OIQ)
- Experience with design and construction of tailings dams and related mine-site earthworks infrastructure
- Experience with design work incorporating the principles promoted by various regulators, including the Canadian Dam Association (CDA), Directive 019, ICOLD, etc.
- Experience managing multiple mining and/or construction related projects simultaneously
- Proven experience with budgeting and cost forecasting
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Ability to work independently or in a team setting
- Ability to travel, domestic and international travel may be required
- Ability to work and write in both French and English
- Eligible to work in Canada
- Valid driver's licence
- ASP Construction card
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.