Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Mechanical Engineer for our Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
Main Purpose of Role
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the WOOD HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
- Mechanical engineer assisting on projects, studies and tenders ensuring work standards are met
- Using technical knowledge and problem-solving skills to:
- Assist senior engineers with the design on studies and medium /large projects.
- Supervise /commission projects on site
Role Specific Responsibilities
- Produce designs in accordance with project, discipline, statutory regulations, good practice and company procedural requirements.
- Prepare technical specifications, calculations, reports, design criteria and other documents as required by the project / study.
- Ens u r e design is completed within design man-hour and procurement budgets.
- Ensure designs produced are optimal in terms of maintainability, serviceability, equipment operating cost and safe operation.
- Ensure design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects.
- Provide technical guidance to Project staff on various aspects of design.
- R eview equipment and installation contract tenders and produce technical adjudications /recommendations.
- R eview and comment on design documents and drawings from own discipline and from other disciplines.
- R eview and approve vendor documentation for compliance with project / study specifications.
- Attend factory acceptance tests and provide input into vendor's test documentation.
- Assist with plant installation and commissioning.
- Liaise w ith client to ensure that design is in accordance with agreed requirements.
- Liaise with Site construction staff on resolution of engineering design issues.
- Provide timely reports regarding all discussions held and progress made. Ensure all correspondence is recorded.
- Input into progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Work closely with consultants, other disciplines and Project/Study Managers to ensure that client's objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safety and environmental issues.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc (Eng.), BEng or B.Tech or National Diploma with a minimum of 5 years' experience.
- ECSA registered of eligible for registration
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 3 to 5 years Mechanical design experience in the mining and minerals processing area in design office and in the field.
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of word, databases, spreadsheets and discipline related application software.
- Technical Competence - in terms of core engineering theory from first principles and ability to extend theory to new and complex equipment.
- Good written and verbal communication skills.
- A proactive attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common-sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own workflow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence, resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of teamwork and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.