Skills: Instrument & Controls Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for an Senior Control Engineer for our Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
Main Purpose of the Role:
- Carry out control engineering functions on designated studies and projects in a timely and cost-effective manner and ensure technical quality of work produced is in accordance with safety and operational requirements and complies with the latest international and local standards, Regulations and Acts and meets project and Client standards.
- Specialising in specification and design of hardware and software for Process / Distributed Control Systems, PLC's etc., with system integration experience
- Working knowledge of field instrumentation applications and interfaces
- Experience with industrial control networks e.g. EthernetIP, Profinet etc. and ICT systems and networks
- To coordinate and supervise design functions within a project /study context.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the Wood PLC Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
- Accuracy, completeness of technical content of calculations, specifications and reports by Principal review.
- Performance against schedules, i.e. ability to prioritise and produce own work in a timely manner to assist other roles to complete on time.
- Thorough knowledge of Wood PLC design procedures, the design process, design systems available, engineering standards and effect of design process on project process.
- Plant constructability and commissioning ease.
- Communication and delegation skills.
- To actively pursue excellent Health, Safety and Environmental performance standards and to encourage all staff to achieve or outperform the indicated HSE KPI's of Wood PLC
- Prepare technical specifications, contract specifications, design criteria and other documents required by the project / study.
- Responsible for engineering content, discipline design drawings and technical documents within a project / study.
- Review and comment on documents from control & instrumentation discipline and from other disciplines.
- Produce designs in accordance with project, discipline, statutory regulations, good practice and company procedural requirements.
- Review equipment's & installation contractors and produce technical adjudications / recommendations.
- Produce project filing system which is maintained, kept up to date in a discipline or project system which all project design personnel utilise.
- Review vendor documentation for compliance with project / study specifications.
- Compare procurement costs against budget and provide feedback to estimating.
- Estimate, control and review design scope changes.
- Provide feedback on the quality, use and value of design systems used in design.
- Attend factory acceptance tests and provide input to vendor's test documentation.
- Produce site inspections, functionality testing and commissioning documentation.
- Assist with plant installation and commissioning.
- Prepare project close out reports with comparison of design and procurement budgets.
- Liaise with client to ensure that agreed designs are in accordance with agreed requirements.
- Respond to technical queries from projects, client and site.
- Conduct regular design group meetings within a project / study context in the 3D environment.
- Allocate work and provide assistance to discipline engineers and designers on projects / studies.
- Provide input to proposals and manhour estimates.
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng or B.Tech in Engineering or National Diploma (or equivalent) with a minimum of 10 years' experience.
- ECSA registered
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years design experience in the mining and minerals processing or related industry.
- Site experience - construction and commissioning.
- Good verbal, written, interpersonal and organisational skills.
- Well-developed computer skills and knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and in-house engineering programmes.
- Good organizational, administration and time management skills. elati networking ability.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.