Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Employment Type: Full Time Salaried Employee
Location: New Iberia, Louisiana, United States
Founded in 1934, Parker Drilling provides advanced drilling solutions to the energy industry. We are a technically innovative company providing worldwide drilling services, rental tools and project management, including rig design, construction and operations management.
The Motorhand position is responsible for all tasks and duties of a mechanical discipline and preventative maintenance basis as directed and within the scope of Parker Drilling's safe-working practices.
- Provide visible leadership with a Total Ownership attitude. Owns safety standard.
- Enforce, clarify, and follow Company policies, standards, and procedures.
- Follow the client's daily drilling plans.
- Promote operational excellence through procedural discipline.
- Ensure crews achieve Company and client competency standards.
- Respond to emergency situations including, but not limited to, wellbore influxes, hydrogen sulfide detection and major mechanical or structural failures.
- Evacuate the facility to avoid injury during emergencies.
- Provide assistance with regard to rescue operations for injuries or overcome personnel.
- Maintain the start-up and blowdown of an operating steam system.
- Assist on rig floor operations as needed
- Assists with repair and maintenance of mud pumps, shale shaker, desander, desilter, and degasser units (rig solid control system).
- Assist during nipple up and nipple down operations and rig-up/rig-down of the drilling rig
- Assist the chief mechanic in preventive maintenance and repair operations.
- Assist the chief mechanic following the rig lubrication schedule
- Disposes used oil in disposal drum.
- Cleans the mast and substructure with a high-pressure steam cleaning unit. Scrubs and paints the mast and substructure.
- Visually checks all instruments, gauges, and fluid levels. Checks the motors, reads gauges, checks the boiler and water tank.
- Maintain the rig equipment hours log.
- Understands role during well control event.
- Understands role during a spill drill.
- Comply with emergency response plan or station bills during emergencies and/or drills.
- Perform additional duties, responsibilities, and special projects as may be directed.
Necessary qualifications, skills and abilities
- A High School diploma is required.
- Should have at least 2 years of specific work experience.
- Must have knowledge of mechanical systems and be skilled at working with hand and power tools and operating work vehicles such as forklift, trencher, crane, etc.
- Must have good verbal communication skills and be able to effectively communicate with staff, management, customers and vendors.
- Must possess sound reasoning skills and have the ability to follow directions.
Additional qualifications, skills and abilities
- Initiating & Driving Change • Acts as a catalyst for and takes responsibility for leading, directing, and managing organizational change • Develops new insights into situations and applies innovative solutions • Creates work environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation • Drives step changes in how the company operates • Understands how to change and addresses not only systems and processes, but also cultural aspects of change • Is good at bringing the creative ideas of others to market • Develops a change strategy that includes milestones and timelines • Accurately assesses the potential barriers and resources necessary for change initiatives • Understands and supports the need for change • Envisions and articulates the intended result of the change process • Provides direction and focus during the change process • Helps to generate support of the changes throughout the organization • Identifies and enlists allies who support the change process • Provides resources, removes barriers, and acts as an advocate for those initiating change
- Result Focused • Establishes clear, specific performance goals, expectations, and priorities • Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully • Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers • Very bottom-line oriented • Steadfastly pushes self and others for results • Navigates quickly and effectively to resolve problems and obstacles • Persists to complete tasks / responsibilities, even in the face of difficulties • Develops a sense of urgency in others to complete tasks • Operates with personal ownership and looks for ways to improve performance all the time • Challenges him- or herself and others to raise the bar on performance • Focuses people on critical activities that yield a high impact • Holds self and others accountable for delivering high-quality results on time and within budget (e.g., models high work standards and demands the same from others)
- Team Work • Blends people into teams when they are needed • Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team • Shares wins and successes • Fosters open dialogue • Lets people finish and be responsible for their work • Seeks consensus among diverse viewpoints as a means of building group commitment • Defines success in terms of the whole team • Creates a feeling of belonging in the team • Values the contributions of all team members • Creates an environment that encourages open communication amongst team members • Creates an environment that encourages collective problem solving amongst team members
- Customer Focus • Is dedicated to meeting the expectations and requirements of internal and external customers • Gets first-hand customer information and uses it to understand customers' business issues and needs for improvements in products and services • Acts with customer in mind • Establishes and maintains effective relationships with customers and gains their trust and respect • Genuinely enjoys working with customers to build long-term partnerships • Creates a sense of customer focus throughout their team/ department/ business unit
Physical demands and work environment
- Ability to work around moving machinery
- Lift, carry, and move objects of up to 50 pounds.
- Operate machinery and/or power tools.
- Wear personal protective equipment, including but not limited to hard hat, steel-toed safety shoes, hearing protection, respirators, safety glasses, goggles and full body harness.
- Frequently stand, walk, stoop, kneel, carry, push/pull, reach, and use repetitive wrist and hand movements.
- Ability to ascend and descend ladders, stairs, scaffolding, and/or ramps while carrying tools requiring a reasonable degree of physical stamina and agility and involving moderate to severe physical exertion
- Ability to multitask, work in a fast-paced environment, meet deadlines, reason logically, and make sound decisions.
- Ability to comprehend, remember, and follow verbal and written directions and comply with Company policies, procedures and standard.
- Ability to work as a team, communicate and interact with others in a professional manner, and consider alternative and diverse perspectives.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Parker Drilling is a global drilling company providing drilling services, project management and rental tools to the energy industry. Parker’s primary business segment is drilling services with 38 rigs in international locations and 19 rigs in the United States Gulf of Mexico.
The Company’s international rig fleet consists of barge rigs and related operations in the Caspian Sea, Nigeria and Mexico, as well as land rigs and related operations in a total of 15 countries. Parker’s U.S. rig fleet operates in the transition zone of the Gulf of Mexico.
Founded in 1934, the Company moved it headquarters to Houston, Texas from Tulsa, Oklahoma in September 2001. Customers include major, independent and national oil and gas companies. Quail Tools has four U.S. locations where it is a leading provider of specialized rental equipment for drilling and workover operations. Office and yard locations include New Iberia, Louisiana; Victoria and Odessa, Texas; and Evanston, Wyoming.