Skills: Mechanical Engineering
Experience: 12 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
Wood Resilient Environments is seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our Architectural Engineering (A/E) Group. Our A/E group provides technical solutions for challenging projects and complex design problems, focused on providing sustainable, resilient, and energy efficient solutions for our clients and projects. Our projects include; building restoration, renovation, and new construction in commercial, municipal, federal, and industrial sectors. Examples of some of our recent projects include highly secure radar facilities, combined heat and power (CHP) plants, hospital renovations, office renovations, industrial warehouses and maintenance facilities, geothermal system designs, and upgrades to HVAC systems in historic buildings.
The ideal candidate will have a background in HVAC, plumbing, energy, and fire protection design, planning and construction oversight as well as leadership experience, good communication skills, and the ability to work as part of an interdisciplinary team. Supporting our North East US Operations team from our Portland, Maine office, you will be responsible for assisting with and/or leading design work of mechanical systems for buildings and industrial projects, for both new construction and renovations projects.
Key Responsibilities :
- Design HVAC and plumbing systems in accordance with local codes and standards and client requirements, specifically including ductwork, piping, and controls.
- Prepare construction drawings, specifications, and engineer's cost estimates.
- Calculate heating and cooling loads using energy modeling software.
- Calculate energy consumption, savings, and life cycle analysis of HVAC systems using energy modeling software.
- Select equipment and components for HVAC and plumbing systems.
- Survey and evaluate mechanical systems in existing buildings.
- Review existing drawings supplied by vendors, clients, and engineers and field verify accuracy and completeness.
- Coordination with other building design disciplines and work in a team environment.
- Interest and experience with military, government, medical, industrial, and commercial HVAC and plumbing.
- Support proposal preparation and business development, creating technical scopes of work and man-hour estimates.
- Communicate both verbally and in written form in a professional manner with engineers, construction managers, equipment suppliers, contractors, and client representatives.
Skills / Qualifications
- BS or Advanced Degree in Mechanical Engineering.
- 8+ years of Mechanical Engineering experience.
- Professional Engineer registration or ability to obtain professional registration.
- Must pass drug test, background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Able to do physically demanding field work such as climbing ladders and carrying back packs with notes and data collecting equipment, etc. for up to 10 hours per workday
- Must be willing and able to travel to project sites and meetings throughout the US, typically up to one week at a time.
- Must be physically capable of performing work in H&S personal protective equipment.
- Proven ability to manage and execute multiple project activities.
- General electrical and fire protection system knowledge is a plus.
- Interest or experience in solar design, LEED certification, and energy efficiency are a plus.
- Experience in commissioning, retro-commissioning, project management, and MEP construction is a plus.
Join our Portland Wood Team, we are a team of dedicated professionals working to find solutions for our diverse customer base. Our team takes pride in maintaining a small family-like environment, while also having the structure, resources, and opportunities of a large international organization. Our Portland office is right in the heart of Downtown Portland; nestled in a diverse and lively city with an outstanding restaurant scene and lots to do if you're an outdoor enthusiast or love the Arts - something for everyone! Considered the hub of Wood's Northeast Region, we are looking to grow our team to support our current workload as well as advance our strategic planning towards our future vision - Join us!
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.