Skills: Piping Engineer
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for a Piping Engineer to assist on various projects for our Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
- To coordinate and supervise design functions within a project/study context with specific ability to undertaking Piping Stress calculations.
- Ensure that designs are in accordance with project / study requirements and company objectives and are produced in a timely and cost-effective manner.
- To work in a safe manner, complying with and actively contributing to the WOOD Health, Safety and Environmental HSE policies, manuals and procedures. At all times considering the health, safety and welfare of fellow workers, visitors, clients, community and the environment.
- Prepare piping technical specifications, piping datasheets, design criterion and other documents as required by the project .
- R esponsible for piping engineering content, discipline design drawings and technical documents within a project/study.
- Produce designs in accordance with project requirements, discipline standards, statutory regulations, good practice and company procedural requirements
- Produce project filing system which is maintained, kept up to date in a discipline or project system which all project design personnel utilise
- Engineering input into PFD's and P&ID's, line lists and SPI lists
- Ens u r e piping design is completed within design man-hour and procurement budgets
- Ensure piping designs produced are optimal in terms of maintainability, serviceability, equipment operating cost and safe operation
- Ensure piping design engineering standards are maintained and adhered to on all projects
- Provide technical design guidance to Project staff on various aspects of design
- Produce piping installation contract tenders and produce technical adjudications/recommendations.
- R eview and comment on design documents and drawings from own discipline from own and other disciplines
- Give guidance to client, project engineers, other specialist engineers and inspectors on piping engineering matters. Review piping aspects of package unit supplier's drawings as requested by the engineer responsible for the equipment .
- R eview vendor documentation for compliance with project specifications and standards.
- Estimate, control and review design scope changes.
- Provide engineering support to construction team during plant installation and commissioning of piping systems.
- C onduct regular piping engineering/design group meetings within a project context
- Prepare progress reports, including listing achievements and highlighting issues as required.
- Work closely with other consultants, other disciplines and Project Managers to ensure that projects objectives are met in a timely manner.
- Provide input to proposals and man-hour estimates
- Ensure compliance and take initiative for safety and environmental aspects.
- Keeping up to date with developments in the piping field e.g. updates to design codes etc.)
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc, BEng or B.Tech or National Diploma ( Mech.Eng.) with a minimum of 10 years' experience
- ECSA registered, Pr..Eng or Pr Engineering Technologist is preferred.
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- Minimum of 10 years Piping design experience in the mining and minerals processing area and /or oil and gas industry in the design office and the field
- Exposure to and use of Piping Stress packages, e.g. Caesar or Autopipe is preferable
- Technical Competence - in terms of core engineering theory from first principles and ability to extend theory to new and complex equipment.
- Extensive plant layout knowledge of piping systems
- In-depth slurry piping knowledge
- Overland pipeline and pump station design experience
- Detailed understanding of piping engineering, piping materials selection and pipe supports.
- Piping package and contract management experience
- Experience working within or interfacing with a 3D modelling environment
- Understanding of South African and common International standards and regulatory authority requirements in the mining and minerals processing sector
- Site experience - construction and commissioning
- G ood commercial awareness/risk management skills
- Project Planning skills
- A ttention to detail
- S trong analytical and numerical skills
- W ell-developed computer skills and knowledge of databases, spreadsheets and engineering programs.
- A bility to delegate effectively
- E ff ective leadership skills and skilled in coaching and mentoring of both engineers and designers
- S uperior interpersonal and communication skills
- A bility to effectively work in a team
- Good written and verbal communication skills
- Good organizational, administration and time management skills.
- A pro-active attitude.
- Personal integrity and trustworthiness.
- A common-sense approach to everyday life.
- A willingness to treat all people with respect, integrity and consistency.
- High levels of initiative and "get up and go" to manage own work flow to meet objectives.
- A capacity for persistence and resilience and patience in a sometimes-challenging environment.
- An appreciation of the value of teamwork and willingness to work as part of a team, providing support for other team members as required.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.