Skills: Commercial Management, Mining
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada
Wood is currently seeking a Commercial Manager located in Oakville, Ontario and with commercial responsibility for 2 of our key North America Mining offices in Oakville, ON and Saskatoon, SK..
We are looking for an individual with s trong commercial and contractual acumen, who can provide leadership and direction for our North America Service Line's Strategic Projects and provide input to project tenders/proposals (including contract, scope and pricing qualifications). An individual with excellent negotiation and contract management skills will thrive in this dynamic environment. Experience includes working on major international EPC or EPCM projects, as well as a sound knowledge of commercial processes and procedures as well as risk management techniques.
He/she will play a key role on the North America Service Line commercial team, by ensuring that the commercial interests of the projects are protected in the pre-contract phase, and that effective risk management practices and governance are in place to minimize exposures, maximize recoveries and support delivery of strategic projects in accordance with corporately approved positions and Wood's commercial policies and procedures.
- Providing commercial and contractual advice to business' project teams, operational staff and management.
- Coordinating and preparing the supporting documentation required for Wood's tender review and governance processes, including direction and guidance to Commercial Coordinators in various Mining & Minerals offices in North America.
- Ensuring that contracts and subcontracts entered into by the business are in line with Wood's policies and procedures and obtaining required approvals to depart from these principles, where necessary.
- Drafting and preparing various types of contractual agreements (NDA's, JV, exclusivity, third party etc.) and negotiating optimum commercial/contractual positions in contracts with clients and subcontractors
- Ensuring compliance with Wood policy regarding the provision of securities (including bank guarantees, letters of credit and parent company guarantees) and the establishment of joint ventures.
- Providing support and advice to project teams, throughout the lifecycle of projects, ensuring early recognition of potential changes and diligent change order control both upwards and downwards in the supply chain and adherence to project governance and reporting standards
- Ensure effective handover from pre contract to post contract phase of projects to support above and that processes are in place to ensure the effective administration of contracts
- Review and support strategic project monthly risk/management reviews
- Liaise and coordinate with Tax, Finance, Project Controls, Compliance, SCM, Insurance and Legal Departments in order to ensure that all contracts and any contractual financial mechanisms are delivered in accordance with all Company relevant policies and contractual requirements
- Liaise with Project Controls and Finance to assure that end life forecasting and cost/value reporting is undertaken in accordance with relevant Company policies such that the appropriate revenues, provisions and accruals are recognized.
- Claims and disputes resolution
- Training, mentoring and supporting the development of other commercial and project staff and collaborating with other commercial personnel and operating units across the company.
- Ability to travel domestically and internationally and a willingness to consider assignments to other Mining offices in other regions to meet business needs.
Skills / Qualifications
- A university degree or above in Quantity Surveying, Law, Business Studies or other appropriate discipline.
- Minimum of 10 years of related experience in an engineering consulting, construction, energy or natural resources environment.
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of commercial, economic and business issues relating to the mining, construction or related industry.
- Experience with the preparation and administration of commercial and contractual aspects of contracts, administration of KPI schemes, cost value analysis and reporting, subcontract award and administration, risk management and dispute resolution
- Excellent interpersonal, writing and communication skills and Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize multiple tasks in order to meet strict deadlines
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
- Experience in managing and working with multi discipline functions.
- Strong ability in influencing and persuasion.
- Authorization to work lawfully in Canada without sponsorship from Wood is required
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.