Skills: Student / Recent Grad
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Portland, Maine, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions currently has an opportunity for an Environmental Intern in the Portland, ME office. Will perform work on a flexible, on-call basis.
Located in Portland, Maine, one of the most livable cities in the US, Wood offers the technical challenges of projects located throughout the US within the relaxed environment of a small, vibrant city. Our team takes pride in maintaining a close knit environment, while also having the structure, resources and benefits of a large international organization. Interns will work with multi-disciplinary project teams providing field sampling methodology, technical documentation, and data management.
The key elements we seek from students are good character, technical competency, self motivation and the ability to work both independently and as a team.
Key Responsibilities :
- The position is approximately 75% field work and 25% office work on a variety of projects including industrial, state and federal sites. Office related tasks will be conducted remotely.
- Field activities include logging soil borings, oversight of groundwater monitoring well installations and collecting soil, groundwater, soil vapor, air, surface water and sediment samples as well as documenting field activities
- Remote office activities include analysis and interpretation of analytical results and the preparation of summary reports, under the supervision of a Senior or Principal Geologist or Hydrogeologist
- Will travel to project sites in Northeast and surrounding states; approximately 50% overnight travel
- Abide by Wood's safety conscious culture
Skills / Qualifications
- OSHA HAZWOPER 40-hour certification
- Current undergraduate (minimum Junior level) or graduate student in good standing working towards a degree in Environmental Engineering or Geology or closely related field within an accredited program
- Must be a self-starter with excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong computer skills for database work and proficiency in MS Office
- Flexible to work outside normal business hours as required; may include weekend and nighttime work
- Willingness to travel to project sites in the Northeast and surrounding states; approximately 50% overnight travel
- Must pass drug test, physical, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
Preferred Qualifications :
- First Aid & CPR certifications
Physical Demands :
- Field activities may require working in unfavorable weather conditions and lifting up to 50 lbs.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.