Skills: Structural Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Wood is currently seeking a motivated team player to fill the role of Mid-Level Transportation Structural Engineer. The position will be based in our Chicago, IL office located near O'Hare International Airport.
Wood Chicago is a leader in the Transportation industry, serving federal, state, and local DOT's. Wood has key contracts in place and a strong project portfolio presenting opportunities for rapid expansion of this practice. The Chicago Structural Engineering team is heavily focused on Transportation projects in Chicago and routinely provides support to offices throughout North America; working not only on Transportation projects, but in other Structural related disciplines as well. These disciplines include small building analysis/design, and a variety of miscellaneous structures supporting our Power, Industrial and Rail Clients. We are looking for a mid-level Structural Engineer who can take on large structural tasks with oversight from Senior Engineers, lead smaller tasks, and instruct entry-level engineers.
Our team is known for innovation and outstanding customer service and will continue to build on these values. This is a unique opportunity offering technical challenges, project leadership and potential for growth within a large, diverse, and dynamic firm offering solutions to local and international clients.
- Primary responsibilities include the design of bridges and other transportation-related structures or structural elements; Other structural engineering tasks may relate to the rail or industrial sectors
- Occasional site visits
- Candidate will need to be able to perform analysis of bridge or other structural components as part of a larger and diverse design team under the supervision of a Senior Level Engineer
- Develop design plans and specifications for use during construction and ensure all projects comply with applicable codes and regulations
Skills / Qualifications
- BS in Civil Engineering. Master's Degree in Structural Engineering is desired
- 5 years + of related experience in the Transportation Industry
- Experience on Illinois DOT and Illinois Tollway projects preferred
- Primary focus is on Transportation structures, but Building structural design experience is considered an added asset
- Strong written and oral communication skills required
- Experience with A.A.S.H.T.O. Bridge Design code required
- Experience with MicroStation software required
- Registration as a licensed Illinois Professional Engineer (PE)would be considered an asset
- Registration as a licensed Illinois Structural Engineer (SE) would be considered a strong asset
- Experience with AutoCAD software would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated ability to solve engineering problems
- Must pass drug test, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.