Skills: Student / Recent Grad, Structural Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Tampa, Florida, United States
Wood's Environment & Infrastructure Solutions division is seeking a Junior Structural Engineer to work in our Tampa, Florida Office. Wood is routinely awarded contracts on a regional and national level for the government, commercial, and industrial sectors.
The position will entail working on structural evaluation, repair, and new design projects on a variety of types of commercial, government, and industrial buildings and similar structures. Work may also include evaluation and repair of building envelope systems and general consulting regarding building performance. Our projects are generally located throughout Florida and the eastern United States; however, we do work nationwide and occasionally worldwide. Candidate will have opportunity to collaborate with personnel at other Wood offices throughout the company.
ESSENTIAL TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Candidates are anticipated to perform the following job functions:
- Follow company safety standards and site safety standards
- Perform field exploration, inspection, and documentation
- Utilize field measuring and testing equipment
- Review and interpret building code requirements
- Perform structural analysis and design calculations
- Prepare portions of client deliverables including field reports, calculation packages, drawings, specifications, letters, reports, cost estimates, and proposals
- Utilize AutoCAD as required to support production of construction documents
- Interact with other professionals, clients, contractors, building officials, and general public
- Inspect, document, and oversee construction activities
- Coordinate elements of projects for senior staff
Skills / Qualifications
- B.S. or M.S. Civil Engineering from an ABET accredited program with a focus on structural engineering; MS Preferred
- I.T certification required; ability to obtain professional registration within 5 years
- 0 - 3 years of related work experience
- Strong AutoCAD skills; Experience with AutoCAD Architecture and REVIT preferred
- Experience with STAAD.Pro, RAM Structural System, and/or other structural modeling software. Familiarity with Mathcad preferred.
- Possess effective oral and written communication skills in English; Bi-lingual or multi-lingual is preferred
- A valid driver's license and clean DMV report
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours as required
- Flexibility to travel as required; Up to approximately 25% travel; primarily domestic short duration (typically one week or less) trips; Longer duration and/or international trips are sometimes required
- Must pass drug test, background check and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; and talk or hear. The work is sometimes physically demanding, requiring the employee to be on their feet all day performing visual observations. The employee frequently is required to walk and reach with hands and arms. The employee is required to stand and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee occasionally works in outside weather conditions that are hot, cold and/or wet. The employee must have the ability to climb a ladder; maneuver in, on, and under buildings and other structures; and work at heights (ladders, man lifts, scaffolds, catwalks). The employee is occasionally exposed to environments which contain hazardous plants, insects, reptiles, and other animals.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.