The position's primary responsibility is to formulate biocide technologies (blends and combinations) and perform efficacy tests of R&D products to yield enhancements towards pathogenic species. Position will enhance and improve upon current products. Serves as a technical specialist that supports product improvements, quality improvements, and cost savings initiatives. This person will be responsible for formulation and generation of representative pilot samples for internal and external customer evaluations using appropriate scale-down processes. Other duties include process optimization and product enhancement activities. The candidate must have experience with biocides, surfactants, adjuvants, wetting agents, and other additive chemistries. The ability to collaborate with multiple groups, and the ability to provide biocide combination learnings to a broader project team, are a must. Essential Functions
Required Education and Experience
- Follow safe laboratory practices in compliance with EHS, safety officers, and delegates to ensure that the laboratory is a safe work environment. Recognize potential safety issues, document, and discuss them with management, and take action to rectify them.
- Formulate new products within defined company, industry, and regulatory parameters
- Establishes guidelines and criteria for acceptance and testing of chemical raw materials in finished Biocide blends
- Evaluates technologies brought from third parties
- Develop specifications for new and/or reformulated product
- Tests formulations and conduct stability studies
- Performs scale up for transition to manufacturing
- Writes necessary documents for manufacturing feasibility
- Prepares product registration documentation and product technology packages to meet regulatory requirements.
- Responsible for batch production from pilot scale to process validation.
- Conduct patent searches to determine freedom to operate with a new formulation.
- Performs additional special projects as assigned.
- Maintain detailed tracking record of experiments and performance observations.
- Interact with team members and serve as the biocide formulation liaison for the department.
- Keep Program Leader informed of progress and activities. Participate actively in department and project meetings.
- Maintain close collaboration with fellow scientists in a team environment that is focused on achieving commercialization success.
Desired Experience and Competencies
- B.S. or master's in chemistry, bio-chemistry, food science, environmental microbiology, or related scientific/technical discipline
- 3+ year experience working in an industrial R&D environment
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in formulation of surfactant, additives, biocides.
- Good understanding of chemistry and industrial applications of biocides.
- Strong problem-solving skills, with the ability to combine theory with empirical observation and design experiments to determine the source of undesirable outcomes.
- High attention to detail, accuracy, and precision.
- Have strong organizational and planning skills, and ability to prioritize and manage time effectively to meet project timelines and commitments.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to link biocide industrial performance to fundamental principles of organic chemistry and microbiology.
- Expertise in Surface science (e.g., Surfactants) through academic or industrial research project
- Experience with antimicrobials (e.g., Sanitizers, Disinfectants, etc)
- Experience with Good Laboratory Practices (GLP)
- Strong background in application of DOE principles
With over 90 years' combined experience, NES Fircroft (NES) is proud to be the world's leading engineering staffing provider spanning the Oil & Gas, Power & Renewables, Infrastructure, Life Sciences, Mining, Automotive and Chemicals sectors worldwide.With more than 100 offices in 45 countries, we are able to provide our clients with the engineering and technical expertise they need, wherever and whenever it is needed. We offer contractors far more than a traditional recruitment service, supporting with everything from securing visas and work permits, to providing market-leading benefits packages and accommodation, ensuring they are safely and compliantly able to support our clients.