Skills: Editor, Technical Writing
Experience: 1 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Employment Type: Full Time Contractor
Location: Utrecht, Netherlands
Oceaneering is a global provider of engineered services and products, primarily to the offshore energy industry. We develop products and services for use throughout the lifecycle of an offshore oilfield, from drilling to decommissioning. We operate the world's premier fleet of work class ROVs. Additionally, we are a leader in offshore oilfield maintenance services, umbilicals, subsea hardware, and tooling. We also use applied technology expertise to serve the defense, entertainment, material handling, aerospace, science, and renewable energy industries.
Oceaneering AGV Systems, an Oceaneering International Company, develops, implements and markets Automated Guided Vehicle Systems (AGVs), navigation hardware, and software. We offer customized and automated transport solutions to efficiently, competitively and effectively meet the ever-increasing transport demands of various industries by increasing productivity, reliability, flexibility and safety standards through innovation, expertise and robustness. Oceaneering AGV Systems has been delivering automatic guided vehicle solutions to the world's leading companies for 30 years.
For more information please go to www.oceaneering.com and click on Products & Services, then click Automated Guided Vehicles (AGVs).
**Please note this is a direct hire and as such no agency assistance is invited at this time - thankyou**•
Duties & Responsibilities
The Senior Technical Writer/Editor develops and maintains technical documentation in a coordinated team management environment. This role requires interactions with managers and engineering staff in all departments. Must have the ability to support the creation of technical manuals in Microsoft Office applications, as well as digital SGML/SML manuals.
Documentation includes technical manuals, equipment manuals, operating and maintenance instructions/manuals, database entry, parts lists, assembly instructions, reports, appendices, and project proposals.
- Provide document time estimations for scheduling and budgeting purposes.
- Familiarity to work with Planning Software and prepare individual work schedule for the tasks.
- Conduct necessary research, including reading source material and meeting with subject matter experts (SMEs) as needed.
- Write/review/edit the documentation, according to published department standards and procedures.
- Familiarity with engineering standards, ISO standards and CE standards.
- Track requirements and coordinate the delivery of technical documentation.
- Read and interpret engineering information and drawings.
- Write product descriptions, theory of operations, and other technical manuals and documentation.
- Write and edit documentation according to published department standards and procedures.
- Create simple illustrations and screen captures as needed. Coordinate/arrange with graphics designers or other graphic resources to create more complicated illustrations.
- Submit drafts to SMEs and peers; incorporate review comments into documents.
- Provide periodic status reports to Project Managers and PMO Manager.
- Work with engineering team during new product development and production phases; author all associated publications from scratch with moderate supervision.
- Operate equipment such as Computer, scanners, laser printers, and copiers as well as manage/interact along with Supply Chain the outsourcing of Final Documentation (hard-copies).
- Some work may be physical in nature during system integration.
- Additional duties as assigned.
This is an office environment position and applies all the OII Safety Standards as appropriate to the position
This position has NO direct supervisory responsibilities.
- Bachelor's Degree, Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Technical Writing, or Communications with experience in technical writing; experience may substitute for education requirement.
- Experience in creating maintenance, operations, troubleshooting and setup/tear down procedures without source data. Experienced with technical documentation development and editing of large-scale systems for both commercial and other customers, with experience in technical writing and editing in engineering topics; engineering background desired.
- Experience with mechanical and mechatronic systems.
- Must possess good written and verbal communication skills and the ability to successfully interact with all levels of the company and subcontractor organization.
- Fluent in Dutch and excellent command of technical English (especially writing).
- Well-developed application software skills in Windows environment, with emphasis in Microsoft Office applications.
- Multi-tasking skills and flexibility are essential.
- Familiarity with CAD software such as AutoCAD and SolidWorks, SolidWorks Composer and Adobe CS is a plus.
- Demonstrates knowledge and effective use of the principles, practices, and procedures of a particular field of specialization and understanding of related engineering fields.
- To perform this job successfully, an individual should have good working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications. Candidate will have to perform in an ISO-9001 rated company in a rapidly changing and demanding atmosphere.
- Ability to work in the Netherlands and/or the EU.
- German language competence is strongly desired.
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities, and Other Characteristics
- Ensures that important information from management is shared with employees and others as appropriate.
- Gives and receives constructive feedback.
- Ensures that others involved in a project or effort are kept informed about developments and plans.
- Ensures that regular consistent communication takes place within area of responsibility.
Oceaneering pushes the frontiers of deep water, space and motion entertainment environments to execute with new, leading-edge connections to solve tomorrow’s challenges, today.
As the trusted subsea connection specialist, our experience combined with the depth and breadth of our portfolio of technologies allows us to engineer solutions for the most complex subsea challenges. From routine to extreme, our integrated products, services, and innovative solutions safely de-risk operational systems, increase reliability, and enable a lower total cost of ownership.
We are connecting what’s needed with what’s next as the world’s largest ROV operator and the leading ROV provider to the oil and gas industry with over 300 systems operating worldwide. With our safety-focused and innovative approach, we responsively and decisively react to subsea challenges while providing solutions swiftly and efficiently.