Skills: Fabrication, Welding
Experience: 4 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Houma, Louisiana, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
- A Welder 1 is responsible for the welding of metal fabricated parts by utilizing various welding processes and positions within a shipbuilding environment.
- Complete welds on various types of metal objects using an array of welding techniques such as SMAW, FCAW, and GTAW welding.
- Grind and de-burr metal as necessary to achieve proper surface texture.
- Assure proper fillers are being used based materials being joined
- Coordinate with field supervision for efficient installations.
- Daily workplace cleaning.
- Care and control of equipment and tools.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Demonstratable experience in SMAW, FCAW, and GTAW welding along with gouging techniques.
- Able to perform job duties which includes welding steel, and may include aluminum, copper nickel and more.
- Inspect welded surfaces to ensure welds meet the minimum size and visual acceptance criteria.
- Achieve good speed of execution while maintaining quality workmanship.
- Make adjustments to the welding equipment depending on the type of weld being performed.
- Setting up and operating semi-automatic and fully automatic welding equipment.
- Operation angle grinder, burr grinder, chipping hammer, and other power and hand tools.
- Experience using jigs, clamps and positioners.
- Attention to detail.
- Maintain work area, equipment and supplies in a neat and orderly condition.
- Receive job assignments from supervisor and carry out assignments as directed. Basic reading, writing, and math skills.
- Able to read a weld gauge.
- A minimum of 2 years demonstratable ability as a 6GR welder. Ability to pass a hands-on skill assessment.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & TRAINING:
- High school diploma or GED. Welding technical certification program will be considered.
- Previous experience in a shipbuilding environment preferred.
- Standing-Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Walking- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Turning, twisting, bending and stooping- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Pushing and Pulling- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Reaching, forward and reaching overhead- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Climbing- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Balancing, fingering, feeling, talking, hearing and seeing-These are all considered normal physical duties/requirements and would be needed /required to work in this industrial environment is a safe and efficient manner.
- Lifting-Able to lift 50#.
- Access- Ability to enter a 24" diameter access hole and step over 24" high threshold.
- 80 to 90% of the work activities are performed outdoors. Individuals will be required to work in changes of temperature, hot, cold, humid, wet and dry conditions; dust, mud, etc., along with other conditions in an industrial work environment.
Excellence in the Making
Recognized for having the expertise and resources to deliver the most complex solutions, Gulf Island is a multi-disciplined fabrication company with headquarters in Houston, Texas and operating facilities in Houma, Louisiana. We specialize in providing high quality fabrication of complex steel structures, modules and marine vessels. We also provide project management, hookup, commissioning, repair, maintenance and civil construction services. With customers that span a wide spectrum of industries, we fabricate products and provide services that are critical to energy extraction and production, refining, petrochemical, LNG and industrial facilities, power generation, alternative energy and shipping and marine transportation operations.
Build Your Career with Us
The strength of Gulf Island lies with our talented workforce who see our projects from concept to completion. From the Board Room to the drafting board, the shop to the loading dock, we call it The Team Approach. Each of our projects is embraced by a motivated team of professional project managers, engineers and craft personnel working together to produce the highest quality product.
At Gulf Island, we work hard to gain a clear understanding of our customers’ needs concerning production, quality and schedule before the hard work of construction begins. We believe this pays off as customers from around the globe continue to put their trust in us for quality, craftsmanship and service. Our goal is to exceed expectations and deliver solutions to our customers safely, on time and on budget.