Skills: Fitter / Turner
Experience: 4 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Houma, Louisiana, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
- A Pipe Fitter 1 is responsible for the fabrication, fitting, assembly, installation, inspection, and testing of complex piping systems at various stages in the production process.
- Planning, laying out, assembly and fitting of pipe, pipe spools, tubes and fittings such as elbows, tees, valves, hoses, gauges, and related pumps/equipment using blueprints while maintaining alignment tolerances.
- Installing outfit items such as pumps, strainers, valve actuators, gauges, hoses, expansion joints, etc.
- Cut and bore holes in structures, such as bulkheads, decks, and inner-bottom for pipe installation, using hand and power tools.
- Attach pipes to structures and fixtures, such bulkheads, decks, and inner-bottom using brackets, clamps, hangers or by welding.
- Measure, mark, cut, bevel and thread piping.
- Alignment of spools, pipe and components using chain falls and other equipment.
- Inspect, examine, and test installed pipe systems or segments using pressure gauges, hydrostatic testing, observation, or other methods.
- Quality checking completed items.
- Ability to follow instructions, written and/or verbal, with little or no supervision.
- Other typical duties performed by a pipe fitter.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS & ABILITIES:
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills along with advanced blueprint reading skills.
- Able to read a tape measure (standard and metric);
- Have working experience using a hand torch, grinder, pipe threading machine, hydraulic and ratchet jacks along with chain falls and come-a-longs.
- Working knowledge and understanding in the use of hand tools such as squares, roll templates, hand levels and plumb bobs used in a marine construction environment.
- Capable of utilizing various beveling and burning equipment.
- Able to layout, fit, erect, and fabricate components with little or no supervision.
- A minimum of 4 years of demonstrated ability as a Pipe Fitter.
- Must be able to able to successfully pass the Pipe Fitter 1 written and practical tests.
- Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and drug screen.
- Must be able to pass background check.
- Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
DESIRABLE EXPERIENCE & TRAINING:
- High school diploma or GED.
- Previous experience in a shipbuilding environment preferred.
- Standing-Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Walking- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Turning, twisting, bending and stooping- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Pushing and Pulling- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Reaching, forward and reaching overhead- These are essential job function/physical requirements.
- Climbing- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Balancing, fingering, feeling, talking, hearing and seeing-These are all considered normal physical duties/requirements and would be needed /required to work in this industrial environment is a safe and efficient manner.
- Lifting-Able to lift 50#.
- Access- Ability to enter a 24" diameter access hole and step over 24" high threshold.
- 80 to 90% of the work activities are performed outdoors. Individuals will be required to work in changes of temperature, hot, cold, humid, wet and dry conditions; dust, mud, etc., along with other conditions in an industrial work environment.
Excellence in the Making
Recognized for having the expertise and resources to deliver the most complex solutions, Gulf Island is a multi-disciplined fabrication company with headquarters in Houston, Texas and operating facilities in Houma, Louisiana. We specialize in providing high quality fabrication of complex steel structures, modules and marine vessels. We also provide project management, hookup, commissioning, repair, maintenance and civil construction services. With customers that span a wide spectrum of industries, we fabricate products and provide services that are critical to energy extraction and production, refining, petrochemical, LNG and industrial facilities, power generation, alternative energy and shipping and marine transportation operations.
Build Your Career with Us
The strength of Gulf Island lies with our talented workforce who see our projects from concept to completion. From the Board Room to the drafting board, the shop to the loading dock, we call it The Team Approach. Each of our projects is embraced by a motivated team of professional project managers, engineers and craft personnel working together to produce the highest quality product.
At Gulf Island, we work hard to gain a clear understanding of our customers’ needs concerning production, quality and schedule before the hard work of construction begins. We believe this pays off as customers from around the globe continue to put their trust in us for quality, craftsmanship and service. Our goal is to exceed expectations and deliver solutions to our customers safely, on time and on budget.