Skills: Crane Operator, Heavy Machinery Operator
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Houma, Louisiana, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
The Offshore Crane Operator is primarily responsible for the operation of main and deck cranes within the designed (SWL) loads in accordance with the de-rating tables applicable to existing weather and sea state condition.
• Conducting all crane operations in a safe manner
• Completing and documenting all required inspections for the equipment that they operate. Any discrepancies shall be recorded and reported.
• Ensuring that the Crane is maintained in accordance with the most current edition of API RP 2D incorporated by reference as per 30 CFR 250.198 and that all required documentation is maintained at the facility
• Ensuring that the equipment is used in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions
• Confirming all safety devices are in good working order and maintained in accordance with local requirements
• Carrying out function tests prior to each use
• Pre-use inspections of the crane and boom
• Participating in the planning, JSA and pre-lift safety meetings of all lifting operations that require utilization of the crane
• Verifying communication methods with the appointed signalman prior to commencing the lifting operation
• Verifying crane capacity in the given configuration, weather conditions and any other limiting factors
• Ensuring that any dynamic factors have been taken into consideration and that the dynamic load charts have been checked to verify that the lift is safe to proceed
• Knowing the weight of the load, center of gravity and the path of load, ensuring the landing area is clear of obstructions and has suitable capacity to support the load
• Ensuring that all personnel are clear of the load and that all controls are in place prior to commencing the lift
• Always operating the crane in a controlled manner with smooth and careful motions
• Checking for any expected helicopter operations and position the crane in a "safe position" and exit the crane cab so the pilot can see you prior to helicopter landing and takeoff
• Properly cradling the crane boom under the following conditions: severe weather, high winds, and periods of infrequent use especially at night
• Conforming to Diving Operations SimOps Plan whenever Diving Operations are in progress
• Ensuring that all synthetic slings and wire rope slings are pre-use inspected and protected from any sharp edges and not exposed to any risk of becoming damaged during the lift
- Standing- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Walking- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
- Turning, twisting, bending and stooping- These physical requirements are essential job functions.
- Pushing and Pulling- These physical requirements are essential job functions.
- Reaching, forward and reaching overhead- These are essential job functions /physical requirements.
- Climbing- Is an essential job function /physical requirement.
- Balancing, fingering, feeling, talking hearing and seeing- These are all considered normal physical duties/requirements and would be needed /required to work in this industrial environment is a safe and efficient manner
- Lifting - employees must be able to lift up to 25-50 pounds and occasionally 75-100 pounds.
• TWIC card
• Water Survival
• PEC or Rig Pass (Safe Gulf)
• Crane Operator Classification A as required by client standards
Excellence in the Making
Recognized for having the expertise and resources to deliver the most complex solutions, Gulf Island is a multi-disciplined fabrication company with headquarters in Houston, Texas and operating facilities in Houma, Louisiana. We specialize in providing high quality fabrication of complex steel structures, modules and marine vessels. We also provide project management, hookup, commissioning, repair, maintenance and civil construction services. With customers that span a wide spectrum of industries, we fabricate products and provide services that are critical to energy extraction and production, refining, petrochemical, LNG and industrial facilities, power generation, alternative energy and shipping and marine transportation operations.
Build Your Career with Us
The strength of Gulf Island lies with our talented workforce who see our projects from concept to completion. From the Board Room to the drafting board, the shop to the loading dock, we call it The Team Approach. Each of our projects is embraced by a motivated team of professional project managers, engineers and craft personnel working together to produce the highest quality product.
At Gulf Island, we work hard to gain a clear understanding of our customers’ needs concerning production, quality and schedule before the hard work of construction begins. We believe this pays off as customers from around the globe continue to put their trust in us for quality, craftsmanship and service. Our goal is to exceed expectations and deliver solutions to our customers safely, on time and on budget.