Skills: Fabrication, Welding
Experience: 2 + Years
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Houma, Louisiana, United States
In order to apply for this position, applicants MUST meet the following criteria. If your resume does not match these criteria, you will not be able to apply for this position.
Authorized to work in: US
GENERAL FUNCTION: To perform job functions required and/or assigned in the fabrication of iron as steel structures in accordance with the contract /job specifications and quality assurance requirements/fitting procedures and established ISO/QC program standards.
• Set and operate welding machine for applicable welding processes (stick, short arc, flux core, tig, fill and cap, automatic, etc.)
• Perform welding processes assigned for either structural, pipe and/or automatic welding projects.
• Pass required welding test in accordance to AWS D1.1 latest edition.
• Maintain quality of welding that can pass NDT testing procedures.
• Perform welding assignments in a safe and efficient manner practicing safety at all times.
• Operate applicable hand tools (chipping hammers, grinders etc.)
• Operate high reaches/manlifts as required when having to perform welding assignments above ground level.
• Follow instructions, written and/or verbal, with little or no supervision.
Standing-Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
Walking- Is an essential job function/physical requirement.
Turning, twisting, bending and stooping- These physical requirements are essential job functions.
Pushing and Pulling-These physical requirements are essential job functions.
Reaching, forward and reaching overhead- These are essential job functions /physical requirements.
Climbing- Is an essential job function /physical requirement.
Balancing, fingering, feeling, talking hearing and seeing-These are all considered normal physical duties/requirements and would be needed /required to work in this industrial environment is a safe and efficient manner.
TOOLS AND EQUIPMENT USED:
Welders must have knowledge of and used welding machines, manlifts, chipping & grinding equipment, cutting torches, welding leads, welding whips, and welding guns. Also, all applicable safety equipment used to perform their everyday welding duties (welding shields, goggles, hard hats etc.) should be able to read and write.
75 to 80% of the work activities of a welder (with exceptions of automatic and tig/pipe welders) are performed outdoors. Individuals will be required to work in changes of temperatures, hot, cold, humid, wet and dry conditions; dust, mud etc. They could also be exposed to welding fumes and smoke especially when welding on certain materials (galvanize, etc.).
• Must be able to successfully demonstrate the ability to pass a written and practical welding test.
• Must be able to pass pre-employment physical and drug screen
• Must be able to pass background check.
• Ability to effectively communicate, both verbally and in writing.
Excellence in the Making
Recognized for having the expertise and resources to deliver the most complex solutions, Gulf Island is a multi-disciplined fabrication company with headquarters in Houston, Texas and operating facilities in Houma, Louisiana. We specialize in providing high quality fabrication of complex steel structures, modules and marine vessels. We also provide project management, hookup, commissioning, repair, maintenance and civil construction services. With customers that span a wide spectrum of industries, we fabricate products and provide services that are critical to energy extraction and production, refining, petrochemical, LNG and industrial facilities, power generation, alternative energy and shipping and marine transportation operations.
Build Your Career with Us
The strength of Gulf Island lies with our talented workforce who see our projects from concept to completion. From the Board Room to the drafting board, the shop to the loading dock, we call it The Team Approach. Each of our projects is embraced by a motivated team of professional project managers, engineers and craft personnel working together to produce the highest quality product.
At Gulf Island, we work hard to gain a clear understanding of our customers’ needs concerning production, quality and schedule before the hard work of construction begins. We believe this pays off as customers from around the globe continue to put their trust in us for quality, craftsmanship and service. Our goal is to exceed expectations and deliver solutions to our customers safely, on time and on budget.