Skills: Geotechnical Engineer
Experience: 3 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Knoxville, Tennessee, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is currently seeking a Geotechnical Engineer to join our Knoxville, TN team. Design and field experience specific to geotechnical engineering is required, with capabilities in foundation design, geotechnical instrumentation installation and monitoring, and geotechnical modeling and analyses. The selected candidate may serve in a Project Engineer and/or Senior Engineer role on geotechnical/civil projects related to energy, transportation, industrial, commercial, and government sectors as well as provide support to other geotechnical and civil engineers within the organization.
- Lead geotechnical field investigation efforts including SPT drilling and sampling, undisturbed sampling, DCP testing, CPT testing, instrumentation installation, and subcontractor oversight.
- Coordinate laboratory testing assignments, data compilation, and technical review of laboratory results.
- Interpret and check field and laboratory data, prepare engineering calculations/analyses related to material quantities, embankments, shallow and deep foundations, settlement, soil and rock slope stability, as well as retaining walls and develop engineering recommendations.
- Perform slope stability, seepage, and/or settlement analyses in support of dams and levees, waste landfills, etc.
- Review calculations and analyses prepared by other engineers.
- Assist with the preparation of technical proposals, cost estimates, engineering reports, drawings, specifications, and other deliverables associated with design projects, including day to day correspondence.
- Interface with clients for assigned projects; communicate with clients on an ongoing basis; respond effectively to meets clients' needs.
Skills / Qualifications
- B.S. in Civil Engineering from an ABET-accredited college/university with a focus in Geotechnical Engineering is required.
- M.S. in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering is preferred.
- P.E. license or ability to attain within 6 months is required.
- Minimum 3 years' work experience in geotechnical engineering analyses and/or design required, additional experience is preferred.
- Must have strong presentation and writing skills.
- Must have strong organizational skills for keeping multiple tasks on track from concept through delivery.
- Must have experience with and demonstrate a safety-first work ethic.
- Significant knowledge and experience with AutoCAD Civil 3D, slope stability and seepage analyses, and foundation design software is preferred.
- Flexibility to work outside normal business hours as required.
- Requires some travel and willingness to work outdoors.
- Valid Driver's License.
- Able to lift up to 50 pounds and traverse over rugged terrain.
- Pass drug test and background check, and must have a satisfactory driving record in accordance with the Company's driving (MVR) policy.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.