Skills: Floorhand / Roughneck, Laborer, Workshop
Education: High School/Secondary
Location: Franklin, Virginia, United States
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently sourcing for a Boilermaker Helper to join our team in Franklin, Virginia. You will be responsible for assembling and repairing boilers, tanks, vats and pressure vessels, boiler auxiliaries and ancillaries according to blueprints specifications, using power tools, rigging equipment and hand tools. Prefers a minimum of 6 months of documented field experience and you must have the ability to read and interpret instructions and documentation.
U.S. only: Authorization to work lawfully in the US without sponsorship from Wood required.
Skills / Qualifications
- Locates and marks reference points for columns or plates on foundation, sing master straight edge, squares, transit and measuring tape and applying knowledge of geometry
- Attaches rigging or signals crane operator to lift components to specified position
- Aligns structures or plates sections to assemble boiler frame, tanks or vats sing plumb bobs, levels, wedges, dogs or turnbuckles
- Hammers, flame-cuts, files grinds irregular edges of sections or structural parts to facilitate fitting edges together
- Bolts or arc-welds structures and sections together Positions drums and headers into supports or bolts or welds supports to frame
- Aligns water tubes, connects and expands ends to drums and headers using tube expander
- Bolts or welds casing sections, uptakes, stacks, baffles and such fabricated parts as chutes, air heaters, fan stands, feeding tube, cat walks, ladders, coal hoppers and safety hatch to frame using wrenches
- Performs minor maintenance or cleaning activities with tools and equipment
- Installs manholes, handholds, valves, gauges and feed water connection in drums to complete assembly of water tube boilers
- Assists in testing assembled vessels by pumping water or gas under specified pressure into vessels and observing instruments for evidence of leakage
- Repairs boilers or tanks in field by unbolting or flame cutting defective sections or tubes, straightening plates using torch or jacks, installing new tubes, fitting and welding new sections and replacing worn lugs on bolts
- May fasten and caulk sections of vessels, using pneumatic fasteners and caulking hammers
- May line firebox with refractory brick and blocks
- May fabricate parts such as, stacks, uptakes, and chutes to adapt boiler to premises in which it is installed
- Flame cutting and knowledge of torch use
- Responsible for observing and complying with all safety and project rules Performs other duties as required
- May require a high school diploma or its equivalent with previous years of experience in the field or in a related area Has knowledge of commonly-used concepts, practices, and procedures within a particular field
- Relies on instructions and pre-established guidelines to perform the functions of the job
- Works under immediate supervision
- Primary job functions do not typically require exercising independent judgment
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.