Skills: Structural Engineering, Civil Construction, Construction Superintendent
Experience: 10 + Years
Education: Associates/2 yr Degree/Diploma
Location: Thabazimbi, Limpopo, South Africa
Overview / Responsibilities
Wood is currently recruiting for Civil & Structural Supervisor with site based experience for a contract position in Thabazimbi.
- Support the Construction Manager in the management and supervision of all construction and pre-commissioning activities on the project:
- In a safe manner, complying with statutory requirements and the company Health, Safety and Environmental, (HSE), policies, manuals and procedures.
- To agreed quality standards and Client's satisfaction.
- Within budget.
- On time.
- With harmonious Industrial Relations
- Have prime responsibility for the implementation and enforcement of the project Health, Safety and Environmental, (HSE), policy, procedures and plans in close cooperation with the HSE Advisors on the project.
- Responsible to identify potential HSE hazards in your area together with contractors working in the area and to ensure implementation of risk treatment plans by the contractors in consultation with the assigned HSE Advisor to your area.
- Have prime responsibility in liaison with the Site Quality Coordinator and Site Engineering, for quality of work in your area, in particular:
- Assists in planning construction methods and procedures. Coordinates engineering or construction problems with the Construction Manager.
- Interprets engineering drawings.
- Review design drawings, study and resolve Interference problems and review related vendor drawings and installation instructions.
- Check the acceptability of the methods and practices proposed by the contractor.
- Assist in the resolving of Technical Queries.
- Inspect the contractor's works to ensure that acceptable work standards are achieved.
- Monitor installation of materials and equipment to ensure conformance with drawings and specifications.
- Monitor the activities of contractors to ensure compliance with plans and specifications.
- Ensure that the Subcontractor correctly interprets drawings, specifications and schedules.
- Check equipment before release to the contractor advising the Materials Controller of any defects or where damage has occurred.
- Complete Construction Punch lists as required by the Project and ensures that these Punch Lists are cleared without delay.
- Recording of all "as built" information in accordance with the requirements of the Contract.
- Liaise with Quantity Surveyor and ensure opportunity is given for measurement of all works in ample time.
- A detailed Daily Diary recording all matters pertaining to the contract, including instructions given, the day's work areas, manning levels, equipment in use, problem areas, safety issues, industrial relations issues.
- Records of equipment and material deliveries.
- Records of drawings required and Technical Queries.
- Monitor contractor progress against schedule and report slippages to the Construction Manager. Propose measures to contractor and Construction Manager on how to recover lost time and to maintain schedule.
- Monitoring the delivery and supply of all free issue materials to the contractor
Skills / Qualifications
- S3 or S4 with at least 5 years' experience on multi-disciplinary projects
- Junior B Eng or B Tech requiring practical experience prior to registration as Pr Eng/Pr Tech.
- Registration with SACPCMP
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- At least 10 years' experience in the construction industry on multi-disciplinary projects within the mining/minerals processing environment
- Have a thorough understanding of the OHS Act, Mines Health and Safety Act and SANS 10142
- Good engineering knowledge.
- Experience in earthworks and infrastructure development
- Experience in providing design input into projects within an EPCM environment.
- Experience with earthworks and civil structures
- Have a thorough understanding of permit to work practices and lockout procedures
- Understanding of cost and financial implications of decisions made, as these relate to a project.
- Solid knowledge of construction contracts.
- Thorough understanding of construction methodologies in his discipline.
- Highly literate to ensure the clearest communication both verbally and written.
- Computer literate and knowledgeable on MS Word, Excel, MS Project.
- Thorough knowledge of and hands on experience with, the monitoring of schedules
- Ability to communicate in a clear manner and express own ideas with confidence.
- Ability to work as part of a multi-disciplinary team and to engage with multiple stakeholders and people at all organisational levels.
- Clear logical thinker, with the ability to make good decisions under pressure.
- Ability to prioritise multiple tasks and keep in balance multiple priorities/demands.
- Good attention to detail and ability to facilitate appropriate information sharing amongst project stakeholders.
- Ability to think outside the box to find the best solutions to problems.
- Good level of self-awareness, emotional maturity and resilience.
- Cross-cultural sensitivity.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.