Skills: Structural Engineering
Education: Masters Degree
Location: Chicago, Illinois, United States
Wood has a career opportunity for a Senior Transportation Structural Engineer (SE) to join our Chicago, IL team.
Wood is a leader in the Transportation industry, serving federal, state, and local DOT's. Wood has key contracts in place and a strong project portfolio presenting opportunities for rapid expansion of this practice. The Chicago Structural Engineering team also supports other offices throughout North America, working not only on Transportation projects, but other Structural related disciplines as well. These other disciplines include small building analysis/design, and a variety of miscellaneous structures supporting our Power and Industrial Clients. We are looking for an experienced Structural Engineer who can lead a design team, serving as an Engineer of Record, as well as mentor younger staff. Illinois Structural Engineer's license is required.
Our team is known for innovation and outstanding customer service and will continue to build on these values. This is a unique opportunity for leadership and growth within our transportation infrastructure team. We'd love you to join our team of friendly, hard-working, dedicated and collaborative professionals. Our ideal candidate is seeking challenging work and is committed to quality.
- Performs analyses for complex engineering projects
- Design of highway bridges incorporating applicable State DOT practices and AASHTO LRFD Specifications
- Design of railroad bridges incorporating AREMA Manual for Railway Engineering practices
- Support the bridge department in executing projects of varying sizes and complexities including bridges, culverts, retaining walls, and pedestrian structures
- Develop and review preliminary engineering plans of new bridges, bridge rehabilitation design, and detailed design of new bridge structures as well as completing bridge construction plans and specifications
- Bridge evaluations including inspections and load ratings; if NBIS certified
- Use of advanced bridge analysis/design software such as LEAP Enterprise (Conspan & RC Pier), STAAD, MDX, LARSA, MIDAS, etc.
- Prepare engineering computations, material quantity takeoffs, and cost estimates
- Support bridge inspection assignments (as needed)
- Maintain client relationships to further establish Wood's presence in the field of bridge engineering
- Mentor and provide assistance in the support and development of junior bridge group staff
- Provide assistance to the bridge manager as well as the transportation group
Skills / Qualifications
- Bachelor's Degree in Civil Engineering (Structural focused) is required; Master's degree or higher will be considered an asset
- Registration as an Illinois Structural Engineer (SE) is required
- Professional registration in other states will be considered an asset
- Experience with Illinois DOT and Illinois Tollway projects preferred
- Sound understanding of the LRFD Highway Bridge Design Code (AASHTO)
- Excellent verbal, and written communication skills
- Communication skills and problem solving ability is essential in your work with multi-disciplinary team members and clients; a strong work ethic is required
- Small building analysis/design would be considered an asset
- Design/analysis of other miscellaneous structural elements in support of industrial facilities would be considered an asset
- Demonstrated attention to detail and accuracy, with an ability to work effectively in a team environment with minimum supervision and high personal standards for quality control
- Highly organized and able to prioritize multiple tasks demonstrating a flexible approach to work assignments
- Must pass drug test and background check
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.