Skills: Environmental Engineer
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Fort McMurray, Alberta, Canada
Wood Environment & Infrastructure Solutions is recruiting for a Junior Environmental Scientist to join our team. The position will be to lead and participate in technical wildlife studies. This position will be based out our Fort McMurray office.
Specific Duties and Key Responsibilities :
- Participate in field programs and projects that assess or monitor wildlife presence and habitat.
- Adhere to health and safety protocols for self and co workers
- Field work will primarily involve pre-construction nesting bird activity surveys, biodiversity assessments, gathering wildlife habitat data, and conducting standard surveys such as songbird point counts, call playbacks, and winter tracking.
- Undertake data and field sample management including collection, using established protocols, and recording
- Summarize wildlife data, complete wildlife reports
- Contribute to the preparation of proposals and work plans for future projects
- Participate in business development activities including promoting Wood's wildlife services to potential clients and existing clients
Skills / Qualifications
- Auditory and visual bird identification skills
- Other wildlife identification skills (e.g., mammal tracks and amphibian call)
- Basic plant identifications skills, working knowledge of ecosites
- Familiarity with field navigation in remote areas (GPS use: orienteering).
- Experience with wildlife permitting, submission process; Class protocols and data entry to FWMIS
- Familiarity with provincial and federal wildlife legislation and regulations, recovery strategies and management for species at risk
- Communicate well with other technical specialists, and biologists
- Bachelor's degree in science or Diploma in environmental or wildlife resources with a minimum of five years of related experience
- Class 5 Driver's license with experience driving in rough terrain,
- Experience driving four wheel drive truck, an ATV or Argo
- Ability to travel from time to time
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
Diversity Statement (EEO)
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.