Our People & Places Solutions business - reinforces our drive to improve the lives of people everywhere and epitomizes the "why" of what we do - the tremendous positive impact and value our solutions bring to our communities and society as a whole. From facilities delivering life-saving therapies and ensuring clean water to enabling the connection of people through all modes of transportation and providing access to technology - we're integrating a multitude of these solution elements to build the smart environments of tomorrow.
Start your Jacobs career with a company that inspires and empowers you to deliver your best work so you can evolve, grow and succeed - today and into tomorrow.
Jacobs is recognized globally as one of the leading design firms for advanced technology industrial projects. We design of some of the most complex and specialized facilities being constructed today, including projects for semiconductor manufacturing, data centers, and other state of the art manufacturing facilities. Our services include feasibility studies, long-range planning studies, and the full spectrum of design services from conceptualization through construction support. Project delivery strategies include design/bid/build, design/build, and Integrated Project Delivery, and are often highly collaborative with the client, general contractor, and trade partners. Fast-tracked delivery is standard procedure in today's environment where time to market is critical. We do difficult work for demanding clients, and they come back to us again and again because they know we're the firm who can deliver.
The key to our success is our culture of continuous improvement, innovation, team-oriented work practices, and respect for each individual. Our projects exceed client expectations because each member of the team takes complete ownership not only of their individual scope, but for their teammates' needs and for the project as a whole. If you are up to the challenge, come be a part of our vibrant, dynamic team and help us deliver world-class designs for industry-leading clients around the globe.
At Jacobs, we're partnering across the globe to create the best project outcomes by maximizing the design, digital technology, and support capabilities of our Global Integrated Delivery (GID) teammates. By joining Jacobs, you'll commit to supporting and engaging with these teams, as we work to build a company like no other. Position Summary
As a Structural Engineering Professional, you will be an integral member of the design team, counted on to perform a significant portion of Structural analysis and design for our projects. You will need strong communication and interpersonal skills as you work closely with your Structural Lead, other Structural Engineers and Designers, and other disciplines. As part of this team, you will help develop design concepts, complete the analysis and design, and work with our Designers to get the structural requirements communicated on paper and in the model.
It is expected that you have a solid foundation in the fundamentals of Structural Engineering, knowledge of multiple subject areas, experience with US building codes including seismic provisions, understand how Structural design integrates with and impacts other disciplines, and are building understanding of business trends and industry issues and challenges.
This position may require you to serve as a Lead Structural Engineer for medium sized projects, or as a Sub-Lead for larger projects. You will be given as much responsibility as you are willing to take, and your opportunities for career growth will be limited only by your own motivation, capabilities, and attitude.
Duties and Responsibilities
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements
- With little or no supervision, competently perform all conventional aspects of Structural Engineering and analysis:
- Plan and conduct work requiring judgement in the independent evaluation, selection, and adaptation of engineering techniques, procedures, and criteria.
- Exercise sound engineering judgement and problem-solving skills, not hesitating to reach out to others for guidance or confirmation when questions arise.
- Possess knowledge of principles and practices of seismic design, including ability to apply required provisions of the building code.
- Exhibit a high level of attention to detail and quality control:
- Committed to checking your own work, reaching out to peers and seniors for guidance when questions arise.
- Perform calculation checking of other engineers' work.
- Take responsibility for managing workload, make and keep commitments, and take full ownership of assigned work:
- Take complete ownership of your portion of the structural scope, reliably working to meet schedule, budget, and quality requirements.
- You may be given tasks with ill-defined conditions of satisfaction, in which case you will be expected to take the initiative to determine what is needed to meet the project and client needs.
- Clearly define you own scope and start to develop your ability to forecast level of effort needed to complete that scope.
- Be ready to identify scope change and escalate it to your Structural Lead or Project Manager.
- Recognize when help is needed, reaching out to peers and senior engineers for guidance.
- Work in a timely, accurate, and cost-effective manner with strong attention to detail
- Developing leadership skills:
- Provide technical guidance, coaching, and/or mentorship to designers/drafters and less experienced engineers.
- Be proactive in advancing workflows, systems, and tools within the structural discipline. Embrace emerging technologies.
- As a Lead Structural Engineer for an assigned project:
- Lead a team of Structural Engineers and Designers in the development of calculations, specifications, construction drawings, and the structural model.
- Fully understand all structural scope, recognize how that scope is both generated and impacted by other disciplines, and identify scope change.
- Develop and manage schedule, budget, and staffing forecasts for the structural scope.
- Attend project meetings and take an active role to help team resolve concerns and solve problems across all disciplines.
- May be asked to act as the stamping Engineer of Record.
- Take ultimate responsibility for all aspects of the deliverables, including calculations and all construction documents.
- Participate in and champion internal, cross-discipline, and external project quality reviews.
- Able to perform field walks. Though not common, this may include climbing ladders, crawling under raised access floors, or walking/standing for extended periods of time.
- This position may require you to either work in the local office or from your home office.
- You may be asked to support work for/in other offices (possibly including Temporary Duty Assignments)
- Bachelor of Science Degree in Civil Engineering, with an emphasis in Structural Engineering
- Professional Engineer License (PE)
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in Structural engineering
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Experience with US building codes including IBC, ASCE 7, ACI, and AISC
Ideally, you will also have:
- MS degree in Civil or Structural Engineering
- Structural Engineer License (SE)
- Experience designing and analyzing traditional steel and concrete structures
- Experience in Semi-conductor industrial or general industrial facilities
- Experience with STAAD, Navisworks, and Bluebeam