Skills: Hydraulic & Pneumatic
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Durham, North Carolina, United States
Wood Environment & Infrastructure (Wood E&IS) is recruiting a Project Engineer/Manager for our Civil Engineering group in Charlotte or Durham, NC. This individual will be part of our Infrastructure Design Service Line that supports our NCDOT and local agency hydrologic and hydraulic design for roadway design. The position relies heavily on team leadership characteristics combined with technical experience with the North Carolina Department of Transportation. As a hydrologic/hydraulic engineer, you will be responsible to support our roadway team with hydraulic calculations, design options, reports, agency reviews and construction drawings for traditional design/bid/build projects as well as design-build. Anticipated workload will support nationwide pursuits and active projects.
Key Responsibilities :
- Design support for roadway design team with hydrologic and hydraulic analysis
- Design hydraulic systems (closed and open conduits) as required
- Evaluate existing and proposed hydrologic and hydraulic analysis
- Perform spread calculations and provide inlet design conditions
- Size pipe networks with slope/size criteria to meet state requirements
- Evaluate NOAA data, soil types, topography and land use for calculating hydrologic loads
- Delineate watershed boundary conditions in the pre and post conditions
- Prepare reports and summaries of findings for use by the full design team
- Evaluate design options, outlet conditions and understand cost/benefit of solutions
- Channel armoring and other BMP designs to promote LID for various agencies
- Prepare permit applications and respond to agency (owner) comments in design
- Negotiate drainage solutions with the client to provide cost effective solutions
- Prepare construction drawings for review and approval by the NCDOT
- Perform independent technical reviews of work performed by others
Skills / Qualifications
The individual is expected to have :
- B.S. in Civil Engineering
- 5-10+ years of professional engineering experience, and a minimum of three years of experience with the NCDOT for hydrologic and hydraulic engineering
- Licensed Professional Engineer in North Carolina
- Ability to coordinate efforts in multi-disciplined work
- Time management skills to monitor project's critical path
- Perform routine monitoring of a project's financial health and adjust efforts accordingly
- Report "Estimate To Complete" effort remaining on a project for staff scheduling procedures
- Ability to recognize a project's critical path
- Adhere to corporate/office standards for safety and quality of work
- Set a high standard for product excellence
- Strong collaboration and communication skills
- Experience preparing work scopes and draft proposals
- Proficiency in Microstation, GeoPak, Open Roads Designer, Storm Cadd and SUDA is required.
- Experience preparing Bridge Survey Reports (BSRs) and Culvert Survey Reports (CSRs) is preferred.
- Experience with HEC-RAS, HEC-HMS, HydroCAD and bridge modeling is preferred.
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in consulting and engineering across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world’s most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 40,000 people. At Wood our common purpose is to ‘unlock solutions to the world’s most critical challenges.’ Through the delivery of our Consulting, Project and Operations solutions across energy and the built environment we deliver exceptional returns for our clients, our people, our investors and the communities where we live and work. Visit us at www.woodplc.com and follow us on Facebook and LinkedIn.