Skills: Electrical Engineering
Experience: 5 + Years
Education: Bachelors/3-5 yr Degree
Location: Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Wood is currently recruiting for an Electrical Engineer on a short term contract position to start immediately for the Mining & Minerals office in Bryanston.
Wood has been awarded the EPCM contract for the Vulcan Process for Aroxo (a Tharisa Minerals Company). The Arxo Vulcan Project is a 500 t / h Fine Chrome Recovery Plant located nearly 35 km east of Rustenburg, South Africa. Tharisa's Vision 2020 projects are targeting an increase in Tharisa Minerals' production to 200 kozpa of PGMs and 2.0 Mtpa of chrome concentrates in CY2020, on an annualised basis. To achieve this vision, the R&D team has developed the Vulcan process to extract the fine chrome from current in line tailings from the combined feed of the Genesis and Voyager plants. The primary aim of the Vulcan plant is to increase chrome recovery from the current 65% to 82% at the Tharisa Mine, capable of adding an additional 400 ktpa (ca. 28% of current production) of chrome concentrate output.
Main Purpose of the Role:
- Design & specify electrical equipment within national and international standards
- Ensure fit for purpose electrical equipment
- Comply with safety standards
- Working within an assigned project, ensure that the electrical design for the process plant is completed in a timely and cost - effective manner, indicating the power users, main power supply, equipment layout, substation design and cable sizing
- Be responsible for fault level calculations, volt drop calculations, lighting level calculations, transformer sizing for a project
- Remain abreast of the latest technological developments in industrial electrical engineering
- Working with the respective project team and the Project Services Department, review the tenders / quotes obtained from suppliers and participate in the selection process for the most suitable supplier(s)
- Work closely with the Project Services Department to ensure that the order is followed up for quality, correct technical specifications and timely delivery to site
- Work closely with the Electrical and Instrumentation Supervisor on site to follow and ensure electrical progress on the respective site
- Oversee the hot and cold commissioning on the respective project site
- Ability to travel locally and / or internationally, as required
- Ability to work and live in hardship locations, as required, when visiting project sites
Skills / Qualifications
- BSc Electrical Engineering degree or a BTech or Diploma in Electrical engineering.
- ECSA registration as Professional Engineer or Professional Technologist Engineer (or working towards registration).
Knowledge, skills and experience:
- A minimum of 5 years' working experience in a project engineering environment, preferably within the resources / minerals processing industry in Africa
- Professional registration with the ECSA, preferable, but not essential
- Be competent in fault level, volt drop, transformer sizing and lux level calculations
- Be familiar with Intelligent motor starters
- Understanding of cost and financial implications of technical decisions made, as these relate to a project
- Working knowledge of AutoCad
- Advanced computer literacy skills in MS Office
- Experience in managing relationships with clients, contractors and service providers
- Excellent English language skills, both verbal and written
PLEASE NOTE: THIS IS A SHORT TERM CONTRACT POSITION ONLY +/- 6 MONTHS TO START IMMEDIATELY
Wood is a global leader in engineering and consultancy across energy and the built environment, helping to unlock solutions to some of the world's most critical challenges. We provide consulting, projects and operations solutions in more than 60 countries, employing around 45,000 people. www.woodplc.com
We are an equal opportunity employer that recognises the value of a diverse workforce. All suitably qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment on the basis of objective criteria and without regard to the following (which is a non-exhaustive list): race, colour, age, religion, gender, national origin, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, protected veteran status, or other characteristics in accordance with the relevant governing laws.
Wood is a global leader in the delivery of project, engineering and technical services to energy and industrial markets. We operate in more than 60 countries, employing around 55,000 people, with revenues of over $11 billion. We provide performance-driven solutions throughout the asset life cycle, from concept to decommissioning across a broad range of industrial markets including upstream, midstream and downstream oil & gas, chemicals, environment and infrastructure, power & process, clean energy, mining, nuclear and general industrial sectors. We strive to be the best technical services company to work with, work for and invest in.